X3: Reunion Finally Goes Gold On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eragon View Post
    And if there are a lot of people with that attitude, the rest of us who doesn't care won't be able to play a game because LGP would go out of business. Well, at least we know who we can blame for it if it happens! thank you
    Your welcome. The only good DRM is no DRM, imho.

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
      Your welcome. The only good DRM is no DRM, imho.
      Seriously, I can't comprehend why a tiny company like LGP would even consider that. They are afraid of their games being downloaded instead of bought (as claimed some time ago)? Well, they will be available for download whether they add their scheme or not. What's the point?
      I'd rather they put that wasted cash on some web dev...

Comment

Too bad i already spent my X3 linux money, wasted 9.99 on UT3 when i saw the news here that perhaps a client was imminent and the rest went into both ET:QW and X3 for windows.
        Yes i am a traitor on that end.
        HOWEVER even the windows version of X3 doesn't have drm now, yet LGP is going to use for their version?
        A serial number i can live with but needing internet access for, non networked single player offline games is too much.
        P.S. i bought X2 linux from LGP via tux games so its not like i am anti LGP, just anti-drm, in windows the way around stuff like this is to visit gamecopyworld and get the latest nocd/dvd exe but thats just not going to fly here on the penguin.
        Last edited by AlexiR; 12 November 2008, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
          If i wanted DRM and binary blobs, i'd use windows. It's a no-go for me.
          The thread is about X3 going gold.
          It's not about DRM.
          It's not about OSS games vs binary games.

Please stop hi-jacking this thread.

- Gilboa
          oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
          oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
          oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
          Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

I bought the special edition a few weeks ago, even though it'll likely sit on the shelf along with X2 until the ATI driver situation improves. I can't wait for my special edition T-shirt though .

On the DRM topic: I buy my linux games from Tux Games, which offers a download link for some games (all LGP games it seems) after you bought them. The problem is that the webpage where the links are is NOT encrypted by default (http instead of https), neither are the download links. I'm on a public network and anyone can likely see the links if so inclined, and download the games without a problem. I sent them an email about this but they didn't respond. This is obviously a possible leak and LGP should probably invest resources in choosing better resellers (even though I like tuxgames, the problem is pretty serious) rather than writing DRM.

Furthermore, according to this, LGP's drm should be ridiculously easy to bypass, which enforces my belief that LGP is trying to solve its piracy problem the wrong way.

EDIT: on the other hand, some of the reasons LGP provides for using DRM are legitimate.
            Last edited by Xipeos; 13 November 2008, 04:36 PM.

Comment

AFAIK X3 should work just fine w/ ATI. (I remember reading something about it in the beta ML.)
              As I'm not certain, I'd suggest you contact LGP... and ask

- Gilboa
              oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
              oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
              oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
              Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
              X