Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dehir
    replied
    Well its not bad having different experimental tree as staging. But if it dies away. Are the all "major" and important parts from it allready included in main tree like csmt etc?

And whats the future of Gallium fork? I think it runs best all dx9 games atleast with my rx480.

Thou in general i think this can be better for wine in general to ease things and try to focus everything on main branch
    Last edited by Dehir; 17 February 2018, 06:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• moilami
    replied
    This have a potential to be the worst Linux news this year.

Leave a comment:

• pinguinpc
    replied
    Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
    The review process of wine is hard but not doing the review process comes with a lot of future harm as well.
    Yeah wine devs stay more interesting in functions with tests (without tests many patches dont approved)

However step by step wine begin add more staging patches but no in same way than staging

Leave a comment:

• leipero
    replied
    While it is sad that maintainers do not have time to work on staging anymore, most people use wine-staging for CSMT support, and I've used it for nine support also. That being said, most distributions do patch wine anyway with some paches (Arch adds harmony-fix by default) and add optional support (Arch does silverlight and wine-binfmt by default for packages), so it's relatively easy to add patch for CSMT support (if it's needed in 3.x???) and make PPA for Ubuntu (since people would have to add wine PPA for staging anyway, at least last time I've tried Ubuntu).

As I'm writing, wine 3.2 and nine is building in background, will see if it works, if no one makes AUR for it, I might as well upload it (tho it is pain in the a** to maintain it, that's why I would avoid it).

Leave a comment:

• VikingGe
    replied
    Originally posted by wpupkin View Post
    vulkan patches
    If you need Vulkan support, try wine-vulkan. It's much better than the rather hacky wine-staging implementation anyway.

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Originally posted by eydee View Post
    I'm actually happy that we don't have to track 80 editions of wine. Good stuff makes it into the main version eventually. Lack of staging build actually keeps devs from keeping stuff in staging forever.
    You're an idiot and you've never actually participated in Wine's development. Also, a single "fork" (it's not even a fork per se) doesn't equal 80 editions.

Nope, wine-staging's death will not mean that patches will be incorporated sooner because quite a lot of them are either experimental or don't conform to Wine's development standards. They have been painstakingly selected and improved over the years and this news is truly unfortunate.

Leave a comment:

• cybertraveler
    replied
    Originally posted by Ray54 View Post
    Does anybody have another simple way to have both a version 1 wine and the latest wine available under one user account?
    This isn't a practical short term solution, but may be a long term solution if one day, lots of people get behind it:

Check out this page to see how Gobo very gracefully supports maintaining multiple versions of the same app on one system:

Leave a comment:

• Ray54
    replied
    I have been using Wine staging to provide two versions of wine on one machine. I need to run some old games (Command and Conquer series) under wine 1.6 for them to work properly, but Windows Steam client needed a more modern version (so I used wine staging 2.3). The advantage of wine staging is it installs in /opt/wine-staging/bin and does not overwrite the existing version of wine, unlike installing the regular wine update.

I know I could do the above trick myself by compiling and linking wine in a separate directory or by using Play-on-Linux, but that is a lot of messing about compared with installing wine-staging. Does anybody have another simple way to have both a version 1 wine and the latest wine available under one user account?

Leave a comment:

• darkbasic
    replied
    Very sad news

Leave a comment:

• wpupkin
    replied
    Ok, take nvapi, nvcuda, vulkan patches and DLL Redirects support into main tree and I'm fine with this.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X