Wine-Staging Will No Longer Be Putting Out New Releases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by leipero View Post

Yeah, I saw one, is it "wine-nine" package that relates to github.com/iXit/wine release? If it is so, I've got strange bug with that package in Split/Second, it takes quite a while to load the game, and when it does, it stutters more than usual (not that nine is useful for that game on my hardware anyway...), it must be some problem in ixit implementation if not my error (using WINEPREFIX=PREFIX ninewinecfg as suggested after building). It still deserves upvote tho, since it is not a packaging problem .
    Yup, that's the package.

I don't know much about the problem though, it might be my fault I haven't done much testing yet.
    When you start your game do you see the little green text saying nine is active? If so, I would assume the package to work as expected.
    Maybe it's related to something newer in the release I use than in Sarnex' patches that are used for the other nine related packages?

I just added a check to Wine >= 3.0 in case people tried with 2.x. I assume that was not your issue though.
    Last edited by geearf; 18 February 2018, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

You're an idiot and you've never actually participated in Wine's development. Also, a single "fork" (it's not even a fork per se) doesn't equal 80 editions.

Nope, wine-staging's death will not mean that patches will be incorporated sooner because quite a lot of them are either experimental or don't conform to Wine's development standards. They have been painstakingly selected and improved over the years and this news is truly unfortunate.
      Stop the personal insults, dude. Try to behave like a human being, ok?

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
        Wine 3.x is really stable, no way to run origin an uplay clients without staging patches. The Dead Space game is still free and I am in chapter two. Just use wine-staging until something happens.
        The reality is someone will have to raid the staging patch set and work out what is need. With wine release 2.22 the alterations in that version of wine busted a huge number hack workarounds in staging patches. The buffer hack that was in staging is now superseded by what is in wine 3.2. The process of putting in better buffer management from 2.22 to 3.2 effect made the buffer hack a lock-up system hack. Witcher 3 is back working as good as it did under staging at wine 3.2. Ok not as good as it could be yet.

With uplay unless someone finds out what is required and submits a bug report that developer can look at and fix ??? No one has yet.

Basically if you don't submit bugs debianxfce the point of view is you don't care from the wine world.

The reality of staging having patches not working to mainline was sooner or latter mainline was doing to apply patches that were going to kill it dead due to large volume of failure. People upset their programs don't work. Hey they did not care enough to keep appdb reports up to date to be answering developer questions on bug reports or attempt to make sure patches are progressing to mainline..... So they have got exactly what they deserve.

Wine implement the development branch rules back in 2002 when the development branch explode the same way. Stack of hacks due to development implementing something turned into one big broken branch. Took 6 months and 15 developers last time to fix development branch in 2002. I don't think anyone attempting to bring staging back to life is going to have a easy time. Remember a lot of patches are in staging because they did not work right. Adding wine source upstream changing you are playing with many levels of disaster. Really its been lucky its worked for 4 years.

Comment

Originally posted by ssorgatem View Post
          ESO works on staging with DXVK, but all I get from DXVK on wine-vulkan is "Unsupported DirectX version"...
          Sounds like a problem with your setup then. Make sure you install the Windows Vulkan SDK and configure the driver correctly, as explained on the github page.

Comment

I only used it for silverlight anyway and probably a total craze due to lack. Most if not all sites have moved away from silverlight but back then it was a fairly solid technology.

Comment

I did post this already where 2 uplay bugs. I have made several wine bug reports so...https://github.com/boltronics/wine
              Yet you have not put the patches on the bugs for them to be reviewed have you. Instead lets release a branch to make myself fell good.

The bcrypt improvement patch looks close to be able to be mainlined most likely the only thing missing is testcases to make sure it in fact functions as windows does so you don't get rude surprises.

crypt32-ECDSA_Cert_Chains is in the same camp.

Please note neither patch has ever been submit to the wine devel mailing list for include or being include in wine bugs directly. Both went straight into staging tree and have stayed there ever since. And just like what happen with stage you are not submiting them to be include/reviewed by mainline.

Please note if they are not submitted for include main wine developers believe you know that that is something broken about the patch and that is why its not being submitted. So all I can say is I take wine developers point of view that you github fork must be busted because you are not willing to have the patches peer reviewed by the main developers.

Comment

Wine 3.x is really stable, no way to run origin an uplay clients without staging patches.

The Dead Space game is still free and I am in chapter two. Just use wine-staging until something happens.
                Origin legacy client works with wine 3.0 maybe can try

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post

Yeah, I saw one, is it "wine-nine" package that relates to github.com/iXit/wine release? If it is so, I've got strange bug with that package in Split/Second, it takes quite a while to load the game, and when it does, it stutters more than usual (not that nine is useful for that game on my hardware anyway...), it must be some problem in ixit implementation if not my error (using WINEPREFIX=PREFIX ninewinecfg as suggested after building). It still deserves upvote tho, since it is not a packaging problem .
                  Well someone else mentioned a similar performance problem with Halo, but in my USFIV benchmarks I don't see a difference :/

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

The reality is someone will have to raid the staging patch set and work out what is need. With wine release 2.22 the alterations in that version of wine busted a huge number hack workarounds in staging patches. The buffer hack that was in staging is now superseded by what is in wine 3.2. The process of putting in better buffer management from 2.22 to 3.2 effect made the buffer hack a lock-up system hack. Witcher 3 is back working as good as it did under staging at wine 3.2. Ok not as good as it could be yet.

With uplay unless someone finds out what is required and submits a bug report that developer can look at and fix ??? No one has yet.

Basically if you don't submit bugs debianxfce the point of view is you don't care from the wine world.

The reality of staging having patches not working to mainline was sooner or latter mainline was doing to apply patches that were going to kill it dead due to large volume of failure. People upset their programs don't work. Hey they did not care enough to keep appdb reports up to date to be answering developer questions on bug reports or attempt to make sure patches are progressing to mainline..... So they have got exactly what they deserve.

Wine implement the development branch rules back in 2002 when the development branch explode the same way. Stack of hacks due to development implementing something turned into one big broken branch. Took 6 months and 15 developers last time to fix development branch in 2002. I don't think anyone attempting to bring staging back to life is going to have a easy time. Remember a lot of patches are in staging because they did not work right. Adding wine source upstream changing you are playing with many levels of disaster. Really its been lucky its worked for 4 years.
                    I don't think debianxfce should report bugs in the first place, given his weird, hacky Linux setup. It's hard to nail it down with such a setup and he's the only one with such a setup, so...

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                      I don't think debianxfce should report bugs in the first place, given his weird, hacky Linux setup. It's hard to nail it down with such a setup and he's the only one with such a setup, so...
                      C'mon man. This sounds like trolling. Is his setup really weird and hacky? From what I've read of his posts here, he simply uses Debian Testing with XFCE and a PPA for updating his kernel and graphics drivers. That doesn't sound at all weird and hacky to me.

Comment

Working...
                      X