Feral Is Bringing Rise of the Tomb Raider To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by obedlink View Post
    the problem with vulkan is that, on linux only AMD RX 400 series and up has support for vulkan, peopel who has a video card from HD 7000 to R9 300 don't have.
    sorry for my english :P
    change /etc/default/grub to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet radeon.si_support=0 radeon.cik_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1 amdgpu.cik_support=1"

and run grub2-mkconfig > /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Comment

Well then, publish it on GOG.com and I'll buy it for sure (without discount). Same with Tomb Raider 2013.

Comment

Great to see another big title with Vulkan support! Hopefully it'll have an automated benchmark mode so we can see some comparisons.

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
        It is similar than TR 2013, not a worth to buy.
        Based on that video I think RoTR looks more natural. Anyway, gameplay will be the important thing here rather than comparison of graphics.

Comment

Finally! Now there is only the Witcher 3 left on my wishlist

Comment

Originally posted by jf33 View Post
            Well then, publish it on GOG.com and I'll buy it for sure (without discount). Same with Tomb Raider 2013.
            You assume that they have any real control over this, we have no way of knowing whether that is in fact true or not. We don't know what their business model looks like and what kind of deals they make with original developers and or their publishers.

Comment

Drat, I already bought it on Steam and played it under Windows. I've been wanting to play it again and it was getting very close with Wine-Staging so I've been holding off. Once it shows up, I'll install it in Linux and uninstall it in Windows. I just wish I could have sent a few $$ to Feral.

I think that Lara is nicer looking, has a better bum, and isn't as beat up and scruffy in RotTR.

In any case, thank you Feral.

Comment

I've no problem supporting Steam in regards to SteamVR, Vulkan etc.

Comment

The other issue is the AMD Vulkan drivers under Linux only run at something like %70 of the windows vulkan driver perf. I think NVIDIA is pretty close to 1:1 however (I have a 1080ti so YAY)

Comment

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees! Thanks guys! Sorry to say I already bought it a while back but held off playing it because I had a feeling this news would come about eventually. I almost gave in recently but read that the experience under Wine is still quite sub-par at the moment.

Comment

GOG's place is important. Because competition in distribution on PC (being on open platform). On windows we have steam, origin, uplay, gog, battlenet etc...

So GOG has an important role to fill. Problem is right now they are not really interested in Linux.

Whereas Valve makes loads of money but also gives back to Linux; they have made it easier for other devs to target linux, they were instrumental in the fast rollout of Vulkan and they pay companies like LunarG to make Vulkan SDKs and do graphics R&D, they regularly update linux steam client with new features in line with windows, they canvass other studios to adopt cross-platform development and help them technically with Linux ports, they work on different software layers to improve Virtual Reality on Linux, they work on open source drivers etc.

Whereas to GOG we are firmly 3rd class citizens. I really hope that CD Projekt will roll out GOG galaxy eventually for Linux and adopt a more positive attitude towards Linux as a platform. I don't expect them to do as much as Valve does of course. But still CD Projekt is a 2 Billion dollar company which makes hundreds of millions of dollars profit every year. They are not small fry, they can certainly afford to do something for Linux. Getting their Red division to adopt cross-platform development and release Cyberpunk 2077 for Linux would be a good start.

Both GOG and Steam are game distribution businesses which take a cut of revenue from game sales. It's just that Steam's is a much more symbiotic relationship with Linux.
                      Last edited by humbug; 13 February 2018, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X