Feral Is Bringing Rise of the Tomb Raider To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium

wrong with AMDGPU linux kernel driver all cards you listed like the HD700 or R9 200 or R9 300 series do have Vulkan support
    It's still experimental radv?. fedora 27 mesa 17.2.4. Like it doesn't work out of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by commiethebeastie View Post

change /etc/default/grub to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet radeon.si_support=0 radeon.cik_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1 amdgpu.cik_support=1"

and run grub2-mkconfig > /boot/grub/grub.cfg
      thank you, it works!!!
      but I want to add that mesa-vulkan-drivers must be installed so that vulkan works

sudo apt install mesa-vulkan-drivers

At this moment I don't have installed any vulkan game, but I tried it with dolphin emulator, using the vulkan render.

Comment

Mad Max uses Vulkan for ex.

@ElectricPrism Yes VR would be way cool, but we probably have to wait for the next TR. Oh wirows has VR...I'll try that later when I have a vr device.

@bwyan you can play steam games offline, they don't have any DRM.
        Last edited by mike44; 14 February 2018, 02:28 AM.

Comment

Yes! Insta-buy!

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
            The other issue is the AMD Vulkan drivers under Linux only run at something like %70 of the windows vulkan driver perf. I think NVIDIA is pretty close to 1:1 however (I have a 1080ti so YAY)
            But AMDGPU-Pro Vulkan driver isn't same as Windows Vulkan driver? I though AMD share Vulkan code just like Nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

But AMDGPU-Pro Vulkan driver isn't same as Windows Vulkan driver? I though AMD share Vulkan code just like Nvidia.
              Shared codebase isn't necessarily the same as identical driver. They may have taken out optimizations they want too keep from the competition before open sourcing and things doesn't work identical on Windows and Linux just because both use the "same" driver.

Comment

Originally posted by mike44 View Post
                you can play steam games offline, they don't have any DRM.
                Not quite, but you can tell if something is DRM free by doing the isolation test.

1) Backup everything you need onto a portable hard drive
                2) Unplug the internet cable
                3) Re-format and re-install a fresh copy of Linux
                4) Install the software (steam + game) from portable hard drive
                5) Run it and observe results

What you will find is that Steam will ask you for login details, then say it cannot connect and you won't be able to progress with running the software. Steam and it's games have *failed* the test.

Can you tell me why installing a fresh copy of the operating system is an extremely important step in the isolation test?
                Answer: It simulates that your hardware has broken after 5 years and you need to replace it (and the OS). This then causes the undesirable symptoms of DRM to appear so that you know the software you are testing is defective by design and should be discarded.
                Last edited by kpedersen; 14 February 2018, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Not quite, but you can tell if something is DRM free by doing the isolation test.

1) Backup everything you need onto a portable hard drive
                  2) Unplug the internet cable
                  3) Re-format and re-install a fresh copy of Linux
                  4) Install the software (steam + game) from portable hard drive
                  5) Run it and observe results

What you will find is that Steam will ask you for login details, then say it cannot connect and you won't be able to progress with running the software. Steam and it's games have *failed* the test.

Can you tell me why installing a fresh copy of the operating system is an extremely important step in the isolation test?
                  Answer: It simulates that your hardware has broken after 5 years and you need to replace it (and the OS). This then causes the undesirable symptoms of DRM to appear so that you know the software you are testing is defective by design and should be discarded.
                  I have a few Steam Linux games, and after installing from Steam, VVVVV works on a different computer (Using an external HD). There are lists of such games as well: http://steam.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games and https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Bi...Games_on_Steam

There are quite a few games which are available on GOG and Steam, but only the Linux version is on Steam. Like Limbo: https://www.gog.com/game/limbo and http://store.steampowered.com/app/48000/LIMBO/ There's a list for this as well: https://www.gog.com/mix/games_suppor...eam_not_on_gog

It just depends on the game. No AAA game like this ever has been DRM free since 20+ years, and DRM in gaming is older. Even if you own CD/DVDs from back in the day, games still won't run on Windows 8/10 in a lot of cases. Personally, chances are if you use Netflix, you've already made an exception on DRM, Steam is another such exception for me. Steam's backup and restore will work though, as long as you can login. I can't imagine Valve shutting the service down completely without giving users the ability to play what they've bought. If only for the sake of all the Steam boxes they're still selling and aren't likely to stop selling and supporting.

Still going through the last Tomb Raider, but I'll probably get to this one when it's on sale. Waiting for Civ 6: Rise and Fall on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by audi100quattro View Post
                    I can't imagine Valve shutting the service down completely without giving users the ability to play what they've bought.
                    somebody should do a good piece of investigative journalism and find out from Valve what the plan is in the event that steam servers have to shut down. They have said that they already have a contingency in place to make sure people keep their games. But nobody has dug deep to ask them to explain that contingency.

ps- not a bad thing for Michael to pursue since he has contacts with many people at Valve. Would generate a tonne of hits to phoronix!!
                    Last edited by humbug; 15 February 2018, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
                      somebody should do a good piece of investigative journalism and find out from Valve what the plan is in the event that steam servers have to shut down. They have said that they already have a contingency in place to make sure people keep their games. But nobody has dug deep to ask them to explain that contingency.

ps- not a bad thing for Michael to pursue since he has contacts with many people at Valve. Would generate a tonne of hits to phoronix!!
                      Here's a somewhat lengthy article that atleast starts with why Valve is doing Steam and Steam OS, and it's for the right reasons: https://www.pcgamer.com/what-happene...team-machines/ Also worth pointing out is how HL2 when released had the worst DRM to date if I remember, requiring internet. Today? It will work DRM free on Linux and Windows. And they're subsidizing porting games to Steam OS according to the same article which hasn't stopped even if Steam Machines aren't as widely available anymore. VR/AR and Vulkan are two more chances for Steam OS/Linux to gain marketshare. So, definitely get a game on GOG if you can, but Steam isn't any more evil than Netflix. Chances are they will do the right thing when the time comes, if their history is any guide.

Comment

Working...
                      X