X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cj.wijtmans
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post

It is paying off in Linux gaming quality rising. That's the end goal - to make and keep Linux gaming competitive technically. Once that's out of the way (and constantly maintained), they can concentrate on marketing stuff.
    this. thats why they havent marketed them yet. Because they know their system isnt ready yet.

Leave a comment:

• karolherbst
    replied
    Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

i dont see that ever happening if microsoft wants to stay in bussiness.
    well you need a strong Linux, otherwise people wouldn't care for real. Or maybe they do care, but what alternatives do they have?

Leave a comment:

• cj.wijtmans
    replied
    Originally posted by You- View Post
    IMO it's a hege against a future version of Windows that only allows Windows Store apps (AKA the Windows 10 S version).

They could either wait for that day with their heads burried in the sand or have an alternative way of staying in business.
    i dont see that ever happening if microsoft wants to stay in bussiness.
    Also what stops steam from being a windows store app?
    Last edited by cj.wijtmans; 08 February 2018, 10:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I don't think their investment is really paying off...
    It is paying off in Linux gaming quality rising. That's the end goal - to make and keep Linux gaming competitive technically. Once that's out of the way (and constantly maintained), they can concentrate on marketing stuff.

Leave a comment:

• b8e5n
    replied
    Originally posted by bitman View Post
    Any idea what long game Valve is playing here? They sure must have some ambitions with linux. Obvious guess would be steam machines except they arent doing well at all.
    I am wondering the same... SteamOS has not been so active, did not work as much we'd hope... I think they are just playing the long run game.
    High quality drivers are one important thing to show off that linux can be as good as windows (if not better). More and more games come to linux, including aaa, and there will be a point where games might systematically be developed for linux.
    But again, this is a vicious loop and hopefully they understood that the only way to break it, is to invest time and efforts.

Leave a comment:

• Danny3
    replied
    Wonderful, thank you very much Valve!

Leave a comment:

• etam
    replied
    bitman Gaben predicted long ago, that windows will become a closed platform with a store owned by m$ (just like it's already on smartphones owned by apple or google). It's already happening - see windows 10 s. They want to make Linux an open platform ready for gaming, before it's too late.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by bitman View Post
    Any idea what long game Valve is playing here? They sure must have some ambitions with linux. Obvious guess would be steam machines except they arent doing well at all.
    Funny, I was wondering the same thing. I'm certainly very grateful for Valve's dedication to Linux and I hope they keep it up, but so far *whispering* I don't think their investment is really paying off...
    Last edited by schmidtbag; 08 February 2018, 10:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Enverex
    replied
    "CInnamon" = Cinnamon?

Leave a comment:

• You-
    replied
    IMO it's a hege against a future version of Windows that only allows Windows Store apps (AKA the Windows 10 S version).

They could either wait for that day with their heads burried in the sand or have an alternative way of staying in business.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X