Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Has Hired Another Open-Source Linux GPU Driver Developer

Phoronix: Valve Has Hired Another Open-Source Linux GPU Driver Developer

Valve has onboarded another open-source Linux graphics driver developer...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...s-Valve-Driver

• Yndoendo
    replied
    Finally got a survey request after using Steam on Linux since it first came out. +1 Linux.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    no, i will only tell you that hardware survey has zero information about profitability of valve efforts
    Right... as though your opinion carries any weight around here...
    largest gaming platform(android) is exclusively linux
    Largest by what meaningful definition? Also, Android is barely Linux, just like Mac is barely BSD. You can't run Android apps directly on Linux, and to my knowledge, you can't run native Linux games on Android (particularly through Steam). It is implied that Android is not part of the conversation, so, please stay on focus.
    was it true when valve effort started?
    No, but back then any developers who contributed were needed. My point is now the drivers are in good shape, and yet Valve is hiring more devs. Again, I'm not complaining - I think it's great.
    why only amd lacks vr?
    They're not, but they're the only ones relevant who lack full VR support (particularly for the open drivers). Nobody is going to play VR games on Intel (and that's assuming Intel doesn't work with VR) and to my knowledge, Nvidia's support is functional. I'm not aware of any other GPUs with x86 Linux drivers capable of VR.
    lol, nvidia and amdgpu pro ship hacked x server from future(worked on by keith packard on behalf of valve)?
    Yeah, and it works. As far as I'm concerned, the problem is with Xserver, not the GPU drivers themselves. So, wouldn't it have made more sense for Valve to hire a dev that focuses on X11, to maybe help out people like Packard?
    there are still games with nvidia-only support. better support means better sales
    Yes, because up until pretty recently, only Nvidia's drivers offered full functionality and consistent performance. I'm not sure when distros like Ubuntu, Debian (which SteamOS is based on), Fedora, etc switch to the latest stable Mesa build, but my impression is it's slow enough that game devs can't depend on people having a fully up-to-date system.
    you know very little. first, r600 users are amd linux users, so you have contradiction. second, users use games, not steam. and some games have issues or don't work at all on amd. and in the past number of these games was higher
    How am I the one who knows so little, when it was blatantly obvious I knew r600 is AMD - why else do you think I brought that up? If you knew better, you'd realize r600 gets very little attention from AMD, even to the point where a lot of it's code base is not [any longer] directly shared with radeonsi or amdgpu. If it weren't for Dave Arlie, r600 would likely be left to collect dust indefinitely. My point is that r600 is not a priority to AMD and I'm sure Valve is even less interested in it.

Mind listing which games don't work with up-to-date stable amdgpu-pro drivers? I say those drivers specifically, because it is AMD's priority and likely Valve's too. Unless Valve specifically states they're going to improve upon GPUs older than GCN 1.2, I'm sure they're also only going to focus on moving forward.
    I'm actually interested in what [OpenGL] games don't work on radeonsi, too. The newest GPU I have is a GCN 1.1 and so far it plays every game I have.
    Last edited by schmidtbag; 02-12-2018, 10:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Steam hardware surveys. Before you (or others) get all huffy about how inaccurate it is
    no, i will only tell you that hardware survey has zero information about profitability of valve efforts
    * Linux is a very small demographic of gamers
    largest gaming platform(android) is exclusively linux
    * A great majority of Linux gamers are not using AMD hardware
    again wishful thinking
    * The majority of AMD Linux gamers already have sufficient driver support to play almost every native title on Steam
    was it true when valve effort started?
    * What AMD Linux lacks most in is VR, which doesn't really matter since there aren't really any Linux titles.
    why only amd lacks vr?
    If you argue "well there won't be any titles until proper driver support comes along" to my knowledge, Nvidia and amdgpu-pro are Linux VR compatible.
    lol, nvidia and amdgpu pro ship hacked x server from future(worked on by keith packard on behalf of valve)?
    In the past when AMD driver support was lacking, publishers still released Linux versions and just stated they were Nvidia-only.
    there are still games with nvidia-only support. better support means better sales
    So in other words, the lack of AMD's open-source driver support is not a reason for VR titles to not be ported. AMD FOSS+Linux+Steam+VR is a very niche market.
    lack of proper vr support is a reason for vr titles to not be ported. valve can't fix nvidia blob to have proper support, but it can fix open drivers to have proper support. and that is what valve does in their "unprofitable" efforts
    * I'm not aware of any AMD Linux users who want to use Steam on Linux but don't/can't due to driver issues. I'm sure there are r600 users who would qualify for this, of which I highly doubt Valve will cater to.
    you know very little. first, r600 users are amd linux users, so you have contradiction. second, users use games, not steam. and some games have issues or don't work at all on amd. and in the past number of these games was higher
    So I stand by my point - I only see this as a financial loss to Valve.
    my point is: it is very stupid to posit financial loss by looking at martian weather forecasts

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
    Yes, there is a case to be made that the episodes should be referred to as HL3.
    no, there is no case, it's official valve position
    That's not how they were named though. Valve named them as HL2 episodes.
    and ipad 3 was named new ipad. so what, it is still ipad 1?
    You must know that when people talk about HL3 they are talking about a non-existent game that they hope Valve will create and release in the future.
    no, they are talking about next game in hl series after hl2. and valve already released two episodes of it

Leave a comment:

• onicsis
    replied
    Hold Your Breath
    Microsoft buying Valve would be a disaster for PC gaming

Scarry

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

Someone put this guy back in charge of Microsoft, we'll see every game, app and full commitment & Steam Machine relaunch within 12 months.

Leave a comment:

• onicsis
    replied
    A very good example from Valve for big others like Autodesk par example.

Leave a comment:

• humbug
    replied
    Originally posted by mphuZ View Post
    "A waste of time"?
    Have you seen the addict design from KDE?
    I agree a good desktop Linux experience is essential. But my point is why should Valve work on that. Valve has done great work for Linux on steam, on game engines, or graphics APIs, drivers, on games, on virtual reality etc. But they always focused on things related to gaming since this is their bread and butter.

For a good desktop Linux experience there are plenty of other talented people in other places working on that. Fedora, Arch, Ubuntu, Mint etc.... The work that Valve does on gaming directly benefits all these guys and the entire Linux desktop ecosystem. What I am saying is that Valve does not need to directly invest in working on desktop / workstation concerns. Becasue what will they achieve that other desktop distros cannot do? I don't see Gabe hiring a bunch of people to improve the gnome desktop experience.

Originally posted by mphuZ View Post
    I agree with theriddick. We need a good Desktop. Otherwise Windows users will not entice.
    This is true. But directly converting windows workstation users to Linux is the job of Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora etc... The work being done by Valve benefits them because it has made Linux a viable gaming system and improved the graphics stack. You install steam on those and enjoy all the benefits. But it's upto these other distros to leverage that and also work on non-gaming concerns and directly attract windows people to Linux, that is how Valve wants Linux market share to improve on the desktop/workstation side.
    Last edited by humbug; 02-09-2018, 11:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mphuZ
    replied
    Originally posted by humbug View Post
    Valve's expertise is gaming, if they focus on a Linux desktop it's probably a waste of time and what would they achieve that fedora, mint, ubuntu etc are not?
    "A waste of time"?
    Have you seen the addict design from KDE?

https://pointieststick.files.wordpre...ape.png?w=1100
    https://www.kde.org/announcements/pl...lock-music.png
    https://my.mixtape.moe/ecobpu.jpeg

I agree with theriddick. We need a good Desktop. Otherwise Windows users will not entice.

Leave a comment:

• cybertraveler
    replied
    Originally posted by devius View Post

Neo Geo?

You caught me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X