Valve Has Hired Another Open-Source Linux GPU Driver Developer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Steam hardware surveys. Before you (or others) get all huffy about how inaccurate it is
    no, i will only tell you that hardware survey has zero information about profitability of valve efforts
    * Linux is a very small demographic of gamers
    largest gaming platform(android) is exclusively linux
    * A great majority of Linux gamers are not using AMD hardware
    again wishful thinking
    * The majority of AMD Linux gamers already have sufficient driver support to play almost every native title on Steam
    was it true when valve effort started?
    * What AMD Linux lacks most in is VR, which doesn't really matter since there aren't really any Linux titles.
    why only amd lacks vr?
    If you argue "well there won't be any titles until proper driver support comes along" to my knowledge, Nvidia and amdgpu-pro are Linux VR compatible.
    lol, nvidia and amdgpu pro ship hacked x server from future(worked on by keith packard on behalf of valve)?
    In the past when AMD driver support was lacking, publishers still released Linux versions and just stated they were Nvidia-only.
    there are still games with nvidia-only support. better support means better sales
    So in other words, the lack of AMD's open-source driver support is not a reason for VR titles to not be ported. AMD FOSS+Linux+Steam+VR is a very niche market.
    lack of proper vr support is a reason for vr titles to not be ported. valve can't fix nvidia blob to have proper support, but it can fix open drivers to have proper support. and that is what valve does in their "unprofitable" efforts
    * I'm not aware of any AMD Linux users who want to use Steam on Linux but don't/can't due to driver issues. I'm sure there are r600 users who would qualify for this, of which I highly doubt Valve will cater to.
    you know very little. first, r600 users are amd linux users, so you have contradiction. second, users use games, not steam. and some games have issues or don't work at all on amd. and in the past number of these games was higher
    So I stand by my point - I only see this as a financial loss to Valve.
    my point is: it is very stupid to posit financial loss by looking at martian weather forecasts

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      no, i will only tell you that hardware survey has zero information about profitability of valve efforts
      Right... as though your opinion carries any weight around here...
      largest gaming platform(android) is exclusively linux
      Largest by what meaningful definition? Also, Android is barely Linux, just like Mac is barely BSD. You can't run Android apps directly on Linux, and to my knowledge, you can't run native Linux games on Android (particularly through Steam). It is implied that Android is not part of the conversation, so, please stay on focus.
      was it true when valve effort started?
      No, but back then any developers who contributed were needed. My point is now the drivers are in good shape, and yet Valve is hiring more devs. Again, I'm not complaining - I think it's great.
      why only amd lacks vr?
      They're not, but they're the only ones relevant who lack full VR support (particularly for the open drivers). Nobody is going to play VR games on Intel (and that's assuming Intel doesn't work with VR) and to my knowledge, Nvidia's support is functional. I'm not aware of any other GPUs with x86 Linux drivers capable of VR.
      lol, nvidia and amdgpu pro ship hacked x server from future(worked on by keith packard on behalf of valve)?
      Yeah, and it works. As far as I'm concerned, the problem is with Xserver, not the GPU drivers themselves. So, wouldn't it have made more sense for Valve to hire a dev that focuses on X11, to maybe help out people like Packard?
      there are still games with nvidia-only support. better support means better sales
      Yes, because up until pretty recently, only Nvidia's drivers offered full functionality and consistent performance. I'm not sure when distros like Ubuntu, Debian (which SteamOS is based on), Fedora, etc switch to the latest stable Mesa build, but my impression is it's slow enough that game devs can't depend on people having a fully up-to-date system.
      you know very little. first, r600 users are amd linux users, so you have contradiction. second, users use games, not steam. and some games have issues or don't work at all on amd. and in the past number of these games was higher
      How am I the one who knows so little, when it was blatantly obvious I knew r600 is AMD - why else do you think I brought that up? If you knew better, you'd realize r600 gets very little attention from AMD, even to the point where a lot of it's code base is not [any longer] directly shared with radeonsi or amdgpu. If it weren't for Dave Arlie, r600 would likely be left to collect dust indefinitely. My point is that r600 is not a priority to AMD and I'm sure Valve is even less interested in it.

Mind listing which games don't work with up-to-date stable amdgpu-pro drivers? I say those drivers specifically, because it is AMD's priority and likely Valve's too. Unless Valve specifically states they're going to improve upon GPUs older than GCN 1.2, I'm sure they're also only going to focus on moving forward.
      I'm actually interested in what [OpenGL] games don't work on radeonsi, too. The newest GPU I have is a GCN 1.1 and so far it plays every game I have.
      Last edited by schmidtbag; 02-12-2018, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Finally got a survey request after using Steam on Linux since it first came out. +1 Linux.

Comment

Working...
        X