No announcement yet.

Game Porter Feral Interactive Is Up To Around 72 Employees

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remember Linuxgamepublishing and Loki? I hope Feral doesn't go that way, but with Mac they seems to be on the secure side. Linuxgaming seems still on the abyss edge in my opinion with 0.* on steam etc.

Comment

It would be nice if Steam looked at Clear Linux, or the compiling options that they use to make SteamOS faster. Time and time again Michaels benchmarks show it's slightly faster than the rest and that won't be the libraries that are bundled with the games

Comment

There'd be 0 performance penalty of games already with native Vulkan ports (and amdvlk in a state like RadeonSI), Clear Linux advantage in games mostly comes just from intel_pstate performance being default governor instead of powersave.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

That's not how business works. 1 developer, 71 managers and 0 testers.
          STOP reminding me of my workplace.

Comment

It felt like Feral was doing less Linux ports in 2017 than in 2016. Did anyone check the actual numbers?

If my gut feeling is right I wonder if it was because of their Vulkan efforts.

In any case I hope they do more ports next year ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Kohrias View Post
              It felt like Feral was doing less Linux ports in 2017 than in 2016. Did anyone check the actual numbers?

If my gut feeling is right I wonder if it was because of their Vulkan efforts.

In any case I hope they do more ports next year ;-)
              Both because of Vulkan and Metal work.

MacOS simply lacks on OpenGL side with it's version 4.1 and terrible drivers.

Porting a game solely for Linux is not profitable i think. With Mac sales , Linux ports are becoming less risky.

They released a couple games with Linux first ( Hitman and Deus Ex ) but it is not so profitable. So they spent a big time on their Metal work for ditching OpenGL on Mac and make performance much more acceptable. Vulkan work was a secondary target i guess , because we have performant OpenGL on our side.

​​​​​​I hope they can bring much more AAA's to both Mac and Linux , because they help transition phase from Windows to Mac or Linux.

Mac has some advantages though , when people start spending on Mac app store they just became more and more locked in Apple ecosystem. As for devs ; if you want to develop and release an app for Ios you should purchase a Mac.

That is why Mac numbers are so steady , people are loyal to it because of previous purchases , for work etc.

On Linux , people are trying it and then a problem occurs. They just simply jump to Windows wagon again because there is nothing you can't do on other platforms while you can on Linux.

Comment

That's cute, but where's PUBG?

Comment

Port Elite: Dangerous please.

Comment

Originally posted by ObscureAngelPT View Post
                    And then for AMD users, if we stick with a LTS version of ubuntu for example, the Mesa will stick the the same feature version for a long time.
                    It would be great if there was more possibilities to update without going through terminals and risking having a conflict with X.org or whatever dependencies.
                    I know there is Olaf and other repositories, but would be amazing to have an official way and direct way to keep drivers updated.
                    I started out using Mint Xfce. Went to Xubuntu from there. But neither provided easy access to updated drivers. Depending on a separate repository for updated graphics drivers proved to be more of a hassle than it was worth.

I've been on a rolling release distro (specifically, Manjaro) for the last 2 years now, and I never have to worry about drivers with it. The latest available drivers are kept updated along with the rest of the software. Not only that, Steam comes pre-installed with recommended dependencies. There is also a `steam-native` package available that allows you to easily switch between using the provided Steam libraries, and the latest libraries available in case games have issues with one or the other.

As with other rolling release distros, updates are provided fairly often, and they are easiest to deal with if you keep your system up-to-date. There is an active community eager to answer any questions you might have.

If Manjaro isn't appealing, there are other rolling releases out there you can try that would probably easily provide the latest drivers available as well.

Comment

Originally posted by mike44 View Post
                      Remember Linuxgamepublishing and Loki? I hope Feral doesn't go that way, but with Mac they seems to be on the secure side. Linuxgaming seems still on the abyss edge in my opinion with 0.* on steam etc.
                      Loki was kind of a... special case - the founder was basically embezzling from it from what I recall (from what I have read on the topic). LGP also seemed kind of... odd, they really didn't do that much especially towards the end and really never seemed to get many AAA titles that would make money.

Comment

Working...
                      X