X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess some clarifications are needed:
    • The Linux player is a first-class citizen
    • The Editor is still not officially supported yet
    • Rest assured that f3 will happen eventually. but in the meantime, there aren't a lot of fixes between f1 and f3 (we're talking about a dozen fixes only between these versions), so you should be able to play with f1 without hitting a wall right away
    • Since 2017.3 there is an installer, and even a GUI for that (making it on par with the other platforms)
    • The previous beta were proposed on the forum, it will also happen for 2018.1; we're only at b2 and this version is only a day old
    Unity Editor on Linux is alive and kicking, maybe not as fast as we would like, but it's neither dead, nor stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
      I guess some clarifications are needed:
      • The Linux player is a first-class citizen
      • The Editor is still not officially supported yet
      • Rest assured that f3 will happen eventually. but in the meantime, there aren't a lot of fixes between f1 and f3 (we're talking about a dozen fixes only between these versions), so you should be able to play with f1 without hitting a wall right away
      • Since 2017.3 there is an installer, and even a GUI for that (making it on par with the other platforms)
      • The previous beta were proposed on the forum, it will also happen for 2018.1; we're only at b2 and this version is only a day old
      Unity Editor on Linux is alive and kicking, maybe not as fast as we would like, but it's neither dead, nor stopped.
      I take it that you are a member of the Unity development team, are you? If so, what's the logic behind putting the release in a forum post? Why not put it on your site as an Alpha release or something? I mean, you don't expect your users to ask on Phoronix for the link to download the Linux version, do you? As it stands, the Linux version is neither reachable from Unity's website, nor from googling "Unity3d linux download".

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
        As it stands, the Linux version is neither reachable from Unity's website, nor from googling "Unity3d linux download".
        Actually, if you google "Unity3d linux download" you find the blog post and the forum thread. At least with DuckDuckGo search engine.

Comment

You can also reach the forum post (about Linux editor) from Unity Roadmap page: https://unity3d.com/unity/roadmap

Comment

For a moment, i thought this was about Ubuntu's Unity...

Comment

I take it that you are a member of the Unity development team, are you? If so, what's the logic behind putting the release in a forum post? Why not put it on your site as an Alpha release or something? I mean, you don't expect your users to ask on Phoronix for the link to download the Linux version, do you? As it stands, the Linux version is neither reachable from Unity's website, nor from googling "Unity3d linux download".
              Indeed, I'm a Unity developer
              I'm in the Animation team, so I'm not directly linked to the Linux developments, but I like Linux and try to help when I can.

The rational behind the forum is that, at first, having the Unity Editor on Linux was not even an alpha, it was a pet project from natosha-bard and Tak (their name on the Unity forum). They wanted to create the first incentive for having the Unity Editor on Linux, showing that there were enough users interested by the idea, etc.
              Since the project was unofficial, it was released on the Unity forum only.

Since then, our internal frameworks improved in order to consider the Linux platform (this can take quite some time), and the number of users slowly progressed (and this can take even more time ).

It might seem like nothing, but the fact that there's a download assistant shows that we're one step closer to have the same deployment framework as for the other platforms; which is one of the mandatory feature if we want to be shown in the same download page as Windows and OS X.

There are still a few issues to fix before reaching this goal, but we're working on it. I truly want this to happen sooner than later, but I'm not the only dev at Unity

Comment

I'm in the Animation team, so I'm not directly linked to the Linux developments, but I like Linux and try to help when I can.

The rational behind the forum is that, at first, having the Unity Editor on Linux was not even an alpha, it was a pet project from natosha-bard and Tak (their name on the Unity forum). They wanted to create the first incentive for having the Unity Editor on Linux, showing that there were enough users interested by the idea, etc.

Since then, our internal frameworks improved in order to consider the Linux platform (this can take quite some time), and the number of users slowly progressed (and this can take even more time ).

It might seem like nothing, but the fact that there's a download assistant shows that we're one step closer to have the same deployment framework as for the other platforms; which is one of the mandatory feature if we want to be shown in the same download page as Windows and OS X.

There are still a few issues to fix before reaching this goal, but we're working on it. I truly want this to happen sooner than later, but I'm not the only dev at Unity
                Any plans of porting the editor to Vulkan?

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. Glad things are progressing. It's probably not your decision, and I do understand the obligation you'd have by putting it next to Windows and OS X in its current form, but I think it'll make more sense to put it on the site as an experimental release. Maybe have a separate section titled "experimental" and have it in there. That way people will actually know of its existence, and will know that it's not just a developer doing those releases in his spare time as a hobby. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by tessio View Post

Any plans of porting the editor to Vulkan?
                    There's been a try to have Vulkan on the Linux Editor, but we're not there yet (a lot of other issues need to be fixed first), but for sure Vulkan is the future, so this will have to happen.

Thanks for the clarification. Glad things are progressing. It's probably not your decision, and I do understand the obligation you'd have by putting it next to Windows and OS X in its current form, but I think it'll make more sense to put it on the site as an experimental release. Maybe have a separate section titled "experimental" and have it in there. That way people will actually know of its existence, and will know that it's not just a developer doing those releases in his spare time as a hobby. Just a thought.
                    I completely agree, and I'm pushing toward that. These kind of decision takes time though, so it will take a few months before everything is ironed out (yes, even for an experimental product). Because even hidden on a forum page, we still have a lot of issue coming in, so I let you imagine if the binary was easier to download
                    But I have hope this is going to happen.

Comment

2017.3.0p2 is out! https://forum.unity.com/threads/unit...2#post-3357832

Comment

Working...
                      X