X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
    So.

Much ado about nothing.
    Really? Up to 35% lower performance on the latest kernel is nothing for you?

Comment

There will be CPU microcode updates from Intel and AMD for Spectres... i think people and Michael should wait all thing to be there and retest performance then

Meanwhile i will joke_patching fglrx to make me gpu_insecure also
      Last edited by dungeon; 05 January 2018, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
        There will be CPU microcode updates from Intel and AMD for Spectres... i think people and Michael should wait all thing to be there and retest performance then
        Yeah. And disabling branch prediction will likely affect gaming performance.

Comment

Originally posted by chimpy View Post
          Michael do you still have in your possession those Tyan servers with with the Intel Xeons? Since the patches effect certain workloads that are more relevant to servers it'd be great to see some benchmarks
          I've already been posting benchmarks from them the other day.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

As far as I understand, KPTI should have a larger impact when doing kernel <-> userland context switches, which explains why Apache and Redis are hit (they need networking), but others are not.

Comment

The results on page 2 are totally broken on Chrome. Each result is a separate frame with a vertical and horizontal scroll bar, showing a quarter of the result.
              Shows fine in firefox.

Comment

Originally posted by elapsed View Post
                The results on page 2 are totally broken on Chrome. Each result is a separate frame with a vertical and horizontal scroll bar, showing a quarter of the result.
                Shows fine in firefox.
                Do you have the new site isolation feature enabled? Have heard it's breaking the graph rendering but haven't had time to investigate yet.
                Michael Larabel

Comment

Michael, there are a lot of Google's services at spectre of risks , so even net might start to missbehave in various weird ways at least temporarely these days

Google’s Mitigations Against CPU Speculative Execution Attack MethodsOverview This document lists affected Google products and their current status of mitigation against CPU speculative execution att
                  Last edited by dungeon; 05 January 2018, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Does enabling KPTI print something to dmesg or is there some other way to check that? I didn't notice anything on my Haswell laptop running 4.14.11-1-ARCH, but I'd like to verify that its enabled (or disabled with nopti option, if I try it).

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post
                      Does enabling KPTI print something to dmesg or is there some other way to check that? I didn't notice anything on my Haswell laptop running 4.14.11-1-ARCH, but I'd like to verify that its enabled (or disabled with nopti option, if I try it).
                      As mentioned in the article and shown in the screenshots, the very latest patches do.
                      Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                      X