Linux 4.15-rc6 Released To Ring In 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eydee View Post

Surely everyone should run and grab some low-end cards for 600+ € just because there are some software issues. First get AMD to make cards, and at an acceptable price.
    A lot of people in my surrounding got their Vega 64 for 499 bucks, then the miners came and cleared the market. If you have a problem with availability, go to the black hole that consumes all those cards and take a good look on why AMD is happy about selling to miners: They buy because price/performance is best. Not like the spud gamers the past 15 years, who had for a couple of times the price/performance king AMD in front of their nose and still buyed 80% Nvidia.

This is a problem we consumers created - same with early access, half games at fullprice + DLCs, microtransactions and RGB penis enlargement. But as this is a Linux forum, I just assume, I talk with competent people and take this knowledge as granted and just ask you this: If a card, that is properly tweaked gives you a performance right between the 1080 and 1080 Ti in gaming and you got it for 499 - where do you see the problem? Have you waited too long and found no card while *knowing* that miners pull all cards within 2 weeks of time or why didn't you get one?

edit: If the mining continues, we will have another energy crisis at our hands in late 2018 because of them. Happy new year and may this broken system collapse.
    Last edited by Shevchen; 01 January 2018, 08:35 AM.

Comment

One of the most important changes of last year from the security point of view - PTI (Page Table Isolation) has come to -rc6 and it should be the subject of discussion not problems with closed source nvidia drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
        4.14.10 and 4.15-RC6 still breaks nvidia.

Running < 2 day old bleeding edge kernels without any coding skills. Poor you.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

With my A8-7600
          I got mine back a couple of days ago and it do not go beyond 3.1 GHz. The turbo mode should allow for individual cores to reach 3.8 GHz. Does yours reach the maximum turbo frequency? If yes, what is your mobo?

Comment

I'm using nvidia-387.34 with canonical kernel 4.14 and nvidia works well. Not tested kernel 4.15 I will wait him to arrive and see if nvidia(bumblebee) and virtualbox work

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
              4.14.10 and 4.15-RC6 still breaks nvidia. According to kernel devs "it's not their problem."
              Out of the kernel tree modules are indeed not their problem, that is how it is since forever.

You should use kernel your distro provide, second option are longterm supported kernels. These two most people use, that is safe zone for most so if you are in doubt just stick to it.

Now, third option is latest stable kernel if you need or like somewhat "stable rolling" (i don't think rolling could be stable enough for everybody but for some it is just considered being "stable" enough, that mainly because any progression could introduce regression, etc... so this looks like mainstream, that should be better but there minor diffs and flaws are still expected on upgrades especially if you pick it early on )

RC kernels are sort of 4th option and 5th option is random kernel git, these two solutions are for experienced users. That is development, there new things happen but there also breakages are considered normal - so happy new year
              Last edited by dungeon; 01 January 2018, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jabl View Post
                It'll be interesting to see how much of a hit the kaiser/kpti causes..
                Looks like 49% hit on du -s on AMD EPYC 7601 according to this tweet:

But according to this post, AMD processors are not affected, so there is no need to enable PTI:

Comment

More info on the scramble to fix security problems caused by Intel processors:

Comment

Says a person with zero experience in latest Amd gpus.
                    How would you know. I have briefly ran WX 7100 for my bachelors thesis application that needed higher amounts of VRAM before I flipped it on ebay.
                    Not saying I had any problems with it, but stop making assumptions.

With my A8-7600, RX460 and RX560 AMD open source support has been excellent just right after the release date.
                    Open to discussion, I was explicitly talking about day-0 (that is what 'release day' means). I believe that RX560 had day0 support though, after all its RX460 with updated VBIOS. Neither Polaris nor Vega (RX480/Vega64) had release day support mainlined into the kernel.

Bugs have been fixed fast.
                    So have they been excellent or have there been bugs which got quickly fixed? I have no problem with loose definition of 'excellence', but it seems that with some people this is selectively applied to only their favorite company.

A person who values easy maintenance, buys AMD gpus and will have a huge advantage. With nvidia you have no X running when installing and updating the driver,
                    You can install new driver with X running, just because their ncurses based installer doesn't allow you to do so it doesn't mean it's impossible. Last time I checked, every single distro allowed to update nvidia driver without leaving X (though restart might be necessary to 'apply' the update).

no easy way to roll back, patching is needed for latest kernels and no way to fix closed source bugs by your self.
                    Never found rolling back hard as I always build nvidia driver into my kernels via initramfs. Latest beta driver for example installed without any patch necessary against current kernel (git master as of today). As far as patching goes, you can always fix minor things in opensource connector of the nvidia kernel portion of the driver, but you indeed can't fix regressions and bugs in their blob. This said, I could probably count on my fingers number of people that can fix bugs in opensource AMD drivers.
                    People mostly report problems on nvidia forums and they get fixed next release if they are reproducible.

Linux is open source.
                    No shit, what is your point.

Comment

Working...
                    X