Linux 4.15-rc2 Kernel Released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    Use the command make xconfig. It takes care of dependencies and shows them.
    People still use that tcl/tk monstrosity? Just using "make menuconfig" straight from the vt seems preferable and nobody needs to install dependencies because ncurses is already there.

Comment

I don't have Internet at home so missing dependencies involves driving somewhere to resolve the issue.

Menuconfig needs libncurses5-dev which NEVER seems to be there, even after installing every developer metapackage in Ubuntu's repository. It's very annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
        I don't have Internet at home so missing dependencies involves driving somewhere to resolve the issue.

Menuconfig needs libncurses5-dev which NEVER seems to be there, even after installing every developer metapackage in Ubuntu's repository. It's very annoying.
        So basically, you're absolutely clueless. Which was already my conclusion after seeing your previous comment:

Systemd sucks donkey balls and will always suck donkey balls because of its fascist pig sh1t philosophy
        I'm seeing a direct link between seriously low intelligence levels and systemd hate. It's like some kind of caveman came into a modern car factory and started insulting the engineers.

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post

People still use that tcl/tk monstrosity? Just using "make menuconfig" straight from the vt seems preferable and nobody needs to install dependencies because ncurses is already there.
          As I remember, it loads a Qt interface these days. There's gconfig for a GTK based one too.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

As I remember, it loads a Qt interface these days. There's gconfig for a GTK based one too.
            Just tried both out, gconfig is next to useless without proper search filtering ("/", ctrl+F).
            xconfig is usable (Ctrl+F actually does something), but there are still no recursive searches or comfortable keyboard-only support.
            Also it lacks stuff like cross referencing and other things that would actually make me wanna use GUI interface.

Will definitely put it on my todo list, if they have reasonable Qt source codes I might be able to add that functionality at some point.

Comment

Still getting terrible performance in general on my RX460 with 4.15-rc2, no problems with 4.14 kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post

How did you manage to install the other dependencies but not this? gmp, mpfr, dtc (on ARM), ...

Comment

over 1 Watt, probably around 15% for typical "ultrabook", power saving certainly on of the most amazing new options: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMkrYFaplso

Maybe Michael wants to benchmark the option's performance impact? ;-)

Comment

Working...
                  X