Linux 4.15-rc2 Kernel Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

This is why I asked and instead got a useless response. Can you tell me which setting it is?
    To be honest, I don't think distribution kernels have a lot of debugging enabled, that can really affect gaming performance. Just ignore debianxfce. He posts this shit in every thread.
    If you really want to turn debugging off, check various CONFIG_DEBUG_* options. You can also disable most of them via single knob: CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL.

Comment

Originally posted by puleglot View Post

To be honest, I don't think distribution kernels have a lot of debugging enabled, that can really affect gaming performance. Just ignore debianxfce. He posts this shit in every thread.
      If you really want to turn debugging off, check various CONFIG_DEBUG_* options. You can also disable most of them via single knob: CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL.
      Appreciate it, thanks. I'll leave the setting alone.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
        Have you thought about using DKMS?
        Yes, but gave up on that idea the moment I realized that that there is no easy way to instrument it to checkout git branch of my external modules.
        That was before I was using module pinning from initramfs (disallows module loading after exiting initramfs). Hence there is no way to dynamically load anything once the userspace starts. Once the modules are pinned, any call to "__NR_init_module" goes straight to alzheimer's start_cleaning().

DKMS might be of some use for heavy weight users such as distributions, but for my use case it's kinda overkill.
        Last edited by Guest; 03 December 2017, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Michael
          I noticed in the -rc2 detailed changelist there was this entry:
          > drm/amd/display: Fix amdgpu_dm bugs found by smatch
          Looks like AMD might have smatched their driver.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
            And I forgot to mention that the git clone command is much slower than downloading and extracting the tarball, with Ryzen 5 1600 especially. Git system does not allow manual patching and that I must do. The git workaround for manual patching is really slow, a copy of already cloned kernel tree is fetched again.
            Why don't you pick up a "Linux for dummies" book instead of consistently trying to force your ignorance on others? Try to understand that git is a revision control system. Of course downloading the entire commit history will be slower than getting a tarball. Try "git clone --depth 1" and be amazed. Git does not allow manual patching? You can't be serious. If you don't understand something, learn it or stfu. Not being able to learn git basics and at the same time trying to comment on init systems and kernel debugging makes you a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
              Use the command make xconfig. It takes care of dependencies and shows them.
              People still use that tcl/tk monstrosity? Just using "make menuconfig" straight from the vt seems preferable and nobody needs to install dependencies because ncurses is already there.

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
                I don't have Internet at home so missing dependencies involves driving somewhere to resolve the issue.

Menuconfig needs libncurses5-dev which NEVER seems to be there, even after installing every developer metapackage in Ubuntu's repository. It's very annoying.
                So basically, you're absolutely clueless. Which was already my conclusion after seeing your previous comment:

Systemd sucks donkey balls and will always suck donkey balls because of its fascist pig sh1t philosophy
                I'm seeing a direct link between seriously low intelligence levels and systemd hate. It's like some kind of caveman came into a modern car factory and started insulting the engineers.

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post

People still use that tcl/tk monstrosity? Just using "make menuconfig" straight from the vt seems preferable and nobody needs to install dependencies because ncurses is already there.
                  As I remember, it loads a Qt interface these days. There's gconfig for a GTK based one too.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

As I remember, it loads a Qt interface these days. There's gconfig for a GTK based one too.
                    Just tried both out, gconfig is next to useless without proper search filtering ("/", ctrl+F).
                    xconfig is usable (Ctrl+F actually does something), but there are still no recursive searches or comfortable keyboard-only support.
                    Also it lacks stuff like cross referencing and other things that would actually make me wanna use GUI interface.

Will definitely put it on my todo list, if they have reasonable Qt source codes I might be able to add that functionality at some point.

Comment

Still getting terrible performance in general on my RX460 with 4.15-rc2, no problems with 4.14 kernel.

Comment

Working...
                      X