Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNU Nano Text Editor Can Now Record & Replay Keystrokes

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GNU Nano Text Editor Can Now Record & Replay Keystrokes

    Phoronix: GNU Nano Text Editor Can Now Record & Replay Keystrokes

    GNU Nano 2.9 is now available as the latest feature release of this popular CLI text editor and it's bringing several new capabilities...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...o-2.9-Released

  • #2
    What's the difference between write out (^O) and save (^S)?

    Comment


    • #3
      Cool, but I think peoples who know what does "text macros" mean are using Vim or Emacs anyway.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
        Cool, but I think peoples who know what does "text macros" mean are using Vim or Emacs anyway.
        Last I checked, nano was preinstalled on Ubuntu derivatives one might SSH into but Vim was not.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
          Last I checked, nano was preinstalled on Ubuntu derivatives one might SSH into but Vim was not.
          I'm pretty sure Vim isn't that common in those environments (nor Emacs, for that matter). Default images and firmwares I've seen either have nano or the total shit vi (sometimes busybox's in embedded-ish ones).

          EDIT: for the IT plebs out there: we are talking of systems where the user does not have admin privilege or cannot install packages without the management's approval, which is a reality in many company servers/cloud VMs/whatever.
          Last edited by starshipeleven; 18 November 2017, 05:09 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            EDIT: for the IT plebs out there: we are talking of systems where the user does not have admin privilege or cannot install packages without the management's approval, which is a reality in many company servers/cloud VMs/whatever.
            Blank, dumb stare.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by FishPls View Post
              What's the difference between write out (^O) and save (^S)?
              There is no save - it's about flow control. The manual is your friend

              http://www.dirtcellar.net

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by FishPls View Post
                What's the difference between write out (^O) and save (^S)?
                It looks like ^S saves without prompting if there is already a filename set:

                http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/nan...e8ba06e78e9b37

                (In contrast, ^O always prompts - but it does prepopulate the input field if it's already set.)

                Originally posted by waxhead View Post

                There is no save - it's about flow control. The manual is your friend
                This is no longer true as of nano 2.9.0. Also the manual is currently out of date:

                http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/nan...ree/doc/nano.1
                Last edited by l_bratch; 20 November 2017, 06:51 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  I'm pretty sure Vim isn't that common in those environments (nor Emacs, for that matter). Default images and firmwares I've seen either have nano or the total shit vi (sometimes busybox's in embedded-ish ones).
                  .
                  Vi is actually handy, it just needs a printed out the cheatsheet with it's commands, unless you happen to use it daily. Sometimes it helps catching weird characters causing problems in config files, which otherwise you might not actually see using more convenient editors.

                  Nano doesn't have line numbers and colors. At least not by default. So, I've used micro or mcedit instead. Much better for editing shit like cmake language files, shell scripts etc.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by aht0 View Post
                    Vi is actually handy, it just needs a printed out the cheatsheet with it's commands, unless you happen to use it daily. Sometimes it helps catching weird characters causing problems in config files, which otherwise you might not actually see using more convenient editors.

                    Nano doesn't have line numbers and colors. At least not by default. So, I've used micro or mcedit instead. Much better for editing shit like cmake language files, shell scripts etc.
                    The point is the difference between vim and vi. Not only Vi lacks text objects, and a lot of other features, it generally behaves like a broken Vim. E.g. for using backspace it keeps the characters shown until you press Esc, the undo-redo history is just two commands, no vertical selection. It is just terrible. But then also exists Vi of Busybox, which behaves like a broken Vi. Half the actions show you "not implemented", it is so damn awful that editing more than a few lines becomes an adventure. FTR though: all busybox commands are awful.

                    But the actual Vim is really handy. I am using Emacs with Evil-mode (which is basically Vim within Emacs), and I assure you it is absolutely great for any form of text editing, it really speeds up your workflow. It is so great that every time I'm writing more than 4 sentences, I'm using feature of Qutebrowser to call GVim for typing the text. Sadly it doesn't work yet with non-plain-text widgets, like the comment box here.
                    Last edited by Hi-Angel; 20 November 2017, 07:26 PM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X