Btrfs Zstd Compression Benchmarks On Linux 4.14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by s_j_newbury View Post

You're not really going to gain anything, perhaps even slow things down if your content is already highly compressed. If you store your ROMs uncompressed that can work, but then deduplication is an even bigger win if you have many similar ROMs.
    I'm not overly concerned over the probably negligible difference in the access speed of accessing a ROM, most of which are probably only a few meg. Even if it's a disk image from PS1 or later, I doubt it'd make much difference. I don't know how much room I've saved on the video files, but my perception is that I've fitted a lot more onto btrfs than I used to get onto an EXTx formatted partition.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
      The system is a headless server, sorry, I can't help with these questions. The disks I have btrfs on are just big HDDs with videos and roms and stuff on that I access through Samba or NFS. I don't even remember whether the OS disk is formatted with btrfs.
      zstd compression gave new life to BTRFS on my systems. Barely yesterday I installed Archlinux to BTRFS with enabled zstd compression to a laptop at work. Its HDD have the same speed 5400rpm like the one of mine own. But apps starting up noticeably faster, like, 2 or 2.5 times faster compared to my laptop at home with ext4. So, you know, I think I gonna use BTRFS with zstd for all new systems

Comment

phoronix can you test with compress-force=zstd:1 ? Zstd has much faster internal heuristics for skipping non-compressible data.

Comment

SSD in box that has SATA to USB controller, connected to laptop using USB2.0.
          Hashing file using `pv Main.vdi | md5sum`.
          "NTFS": 11,3GiB 0:04:44 [40,7MiB/s]
          "BTRFS with compress-force=zstd:15": 11,3GiB 0:01:13 [ 158MiB/s]

Comment

Originally posted by bnolsen View Post
            do they support lz4? That would seem to be a good option as it shouldn't add any appreciable time either direction.
            Taking into account the fact that fastest ZSTD can compress 470 MB/s while LZ4 can do 750 MB/s it seems to me that the difference of real life scenarios will be not noticeable. And at the same time ZSTD will provide better compression ratio. I guess LZ4 is good for things that are as fast as RAM. It is default for ZRAM. But for storage ZSTD wins for me.

Comment

Working...
            X