No announcement yet.

EXT4 In Linux 4.15 Gets Online Resizing When Using Bigalloc, Corruption Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXT4 In Linux 4.15 Gets Online Resizing When Using Bigalloc, Corruption Fixes

Phoronix: EXT4 In Linux 4.15 Gets Online Resizing When Using Bigalloc, Corruption Fixes

Ted Ts'o was quick to send in the EXT4 file-system and fscrypt file-system encryption framework changes for the just-opened Linux 4.15 merge window...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What if a file system was coded in Rust instead of C?
    This would simplify asynchronous operations, parallelism, multi-threading, and avoid deadlocks.
    Rust could be well-suited for a file system and have the potential for a file system performs well and is safe and reliable.

I am aware of TFS which aims to be a next-generation file system written in Rust. I find it interesting.
    Last edited by uid313; 13 November 2017, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Are these corruption fixes backported? If not: Please?
      Data integrity and safety is >> pure FS performance.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        It would suck for like a decade, just because it is new and needs to mature, and everyone is using other stable filesystems so it won't get much testing.

Comment

This would simplify asynchronous operations, parallelism, multi-threading, and avoid deadlocks.
          Rust could be well-suited for a file system and have the potential for a file system performs well and is safe and reliable.

I am aware of TFS which aims to be a next-generation file system written in Rust. I find it interesting.
          It might help some prevent some bugs, but - writing a file system is about safety and failing safely and gracefully. In this case the algorithms matter more than the language they are implemented in.

Comment

then it wouldn't exist
            everything works in powerpoint

Comment

Bugs in EXT4? Say it isn't so!

Now I once again laugh at everyone who criticizes BTRFS as "not ready yet" because they heard that someone, somewhere had a bug.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                then it wouldn't exist
                everything works in powerpoint
                But TFS does exist.

Comment

But TFS does exist.
                  no, it doesn't exist. you could check existing linux filesystems at https://github.com/torvalds/linux/tree/master/fs

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post
                    Bugs in EXT4? Say it isn't so!

Now I once again laugh at everyone who criticizes BTRFS as "not ready yet" because they heard that someone, somewhere had a bug.
                    I laugh at Btrfs, because it's mostly broken promises and still unable to surpass ZFS or XFS in many ways.

And I laugh too because an old filesystem like EXT4 gets more interesting features these days than Btrfs and their vaporware efforts to make it the successor of it.

The day Btrfs is able to surpass the rest Linux available filesystems in all ways and gets really robust even at RAID stuff, then it will become more interesting.

Comment

Working...
                    X