Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.14-rc8 Released: Final Next Week Followed By Linux 4.15

Phoronix: Linux 4.14-rc8 Released: Final Next Week Followed By Linux 4.15

Linus Torvalds has announced the release of Linux 4.14-rc8 as the last release candidate prior to declaring the Linux 4.14 LTS kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can't wait for the 4.15 release. I need that RX Vega display code ...

Comment

There seems to be a regression with the 'schedutil' scaling governor in 4.14, at least on my ryzen. The performance of the dolphin emulator drop by like ~50% compared to 4.13 + schedutil or 4.14 + ondemand.

Comment

Originally posted by SebastianP View Post
        Can't wait for the 4.15 release. I need that RX Vega display code ...
        while I got stuff working on my system I can't wait for 4.15 either.
        it is amazing how well vega worked but it's annoying how long it takes for it to come into a prod kernel :/

In their defense there are massive amounts of code that has to be tested and reviewed this time.

Comment

Originally posted by oleyska View Post

while I got stuff working on my system I can't wait for 4.15 either.
          it is amazing how well vega worked but it's annoying how long it takes for it to come into a prod kernel :/

In their defense there are massive amounts of code that has to be tested and reviewed this time.
          Currently I'm using Ubuntu 16.04 to run the AMDGPU-PRO driver instead of my beloved openSUSE Tumbleweed for this reason ... :S
          The problem having the graphic drivers in the kernel is that it takes ages to support new hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Linus
            One thing I got complaints about and was clearly not popular was how
            /proc/cpuinfo didn't give useful frequencies on x86 any more since
            4.13 - that got fixed (and backported to stable). Maybe that's the
            most noticeable one to most people - the rest really is small internal
            bug fixes.
            Hahaha, I like how he being so casual about it.

Comment

Originally posted by SebastianP View Post

Currently I'm using Ubuntu 16.04 to run the AMDGPU-PRO driver instead of my beloved openSUSE Tumbleweed for this reason ... :S
              The problem having the graphic drivers in the kernel is that it takes ages to support new hardware.
              Custom kernels on open source drivers here, but being out of the official kernels have some minor drawbacks, especially when using vmware.
              The drivers in kernel is a-ok, but when things rely on kernels to run and doesn't have kernel level drivers (like some small things left from vmware) then you get into all sorts of problems.

so both sides have negative sides, but drivers in the kernel is definitely a good thing.

Comment

Ubuntu's 4.14-rc8 is running better on my old rig than the official 4.13 now almost on par with Michael's 4.13-dc second spin. Should be a nice stock kernel to tide over til 4.15.
                Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
                Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Working...
                X