X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• c117152
    replied
    Originally posted by indepe View Post
    As long as Linux doesn't fully support binary hardware drivers and applications, it will remain a small niche system.
    1. Linux isn't small. It's a huge, obese behemoth.

2. Linux isn't niche: It runs on everything from supercomputers, to servers to toasters. With the exception of Windows on desktops, Linux holds dominant market share on every other platform.

3. Linux isn't a system: It's a kernel. Combined with a user-land, it's a system.

More importantly, WSL just graduated from beta and will allow running linux daemons on boot with the next windows 10 release so there's nothing stopping you from running windows if you're fine with closed source drivers. The rest of us will stick to open source thank-you-very-much.

Leave a comment:

• indepe
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    More like NVIDIA's shit is using GPL-driver-only interfaces when it really should not, and enabling an AMD processor security feature in the kernel exposes this behaviour.
    To me it sounds more like things were changed underneath nvidia's software that caused it to look like it was using something that it doesn't actually need.

In general, I think it is simple: As long as Linux doesn't fully support binary hardware drivers and applications, it will remain a small niche system. Otherwise it could become an important operating system that is a true alternative.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by leigh123linux View Post
    It's a shame that the AMD shit breaks the nvidia drivers

https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-arch/msg41946.html
    More like NVIDIA's shit is using GPL-driver-only interfaces when it really should not, and enabling an AMD processor security feature in the kernel exposes this behaviour.
    Last edited by starshipeleven; 05 November 2017, 10:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• boxie
    replied
    Originally posted by garegin View Post
    I never understood why the ryzen segfault bug only affected linux.
    can someone explain why windows is not affected.
    these 2 operating systems probably stress different paths in the CPU.

I currently have a wonderful "the pc will stop working now" under windows, but it is fine under Linux

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    The proprietaery nvidia driver is tolerated as is and it's operating in a legal grey zone.
    I felt there were legal issues behind the nvidia kernel driver source code when NVIDIA developers opted to not talk to their lawyers when the kernel module didn't build against 4.11.0 and then a linux kernel change had to be revered for 4.11.1 and 4.12.

Leave a comment:

• garegin
    replied
    I never understood why the ryzen segfault bug only affected linux.
    can someone explain why windows is not affected.

Leave a comment:

• leigh123linux
    replied
    It's a shame that the AMD shit breaks the nvidia drivers

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic The Most Interesting Features Of The Linux 4.14 Kernel

The Most Interesting Features Of The Linux 4.14 Kernel

Phoronix: The Most Interesting Features Of The Linux 4.14 Kernel

If Linux 4.14 weren't an LTS release with so many changes, it would likely be released today with -rc7 having come last week, but due to the size of this new kernel, 4.14-rc8 will most likely be christened today followed by Linux 4.14 next weekend. Here's a reminder about some of the most technically interesting work in this new kernel update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X