X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• caligula
    replied
    Originally posted by tpruzina View Post

Last time I checked this was the main argument against mainlining LTO patches (for gcc), LTO doesn't really improve performance (for kernel), merely reduces memory footprint and breaks out of tree module compatibility (strips external symbols that aren't provably in use at compile time).
    Quite irrelevant for embedded use. I'd assume the one who's in charge of the kernel has disabled module support anyways.

Leave a comment:

• carewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by tpruzina View Post

Last time I checked this was the main argument against mainlining LTO patches (for gcc), LTO doesn't really improve performance (for kernel), merely reduces memory footprint and breaks out of tree module compatibility (strips external symbols that aren't provably in use at compile time).
    You don't have to have the second part. Though it is easier when symbols are properly marked exported or internal.

Leave a comment:

• staalmannen
    replied
    As far as I can see, it seems like mainline can be compiled with clang from chromium:
    Steps to build the Linux kernel using Clang. Contribute to ramosian-glider/clang-kernel-build development by creating an account on GitHub.

Also for the LTO - does it support the fast ThinLTO? This was otherwise a big argument against LTO with GCC - it just takes forever to compile with LTO.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by latalante View Post
    I compiled different versions of LTO (last 4.11).
    Various Linux kernel changes. Contribute to andikleen/linux-misc development by creating an account on GitHub.

Maybe in the synthetic benchmark of the kernel you can see the difference. In everyday use - none.
    Yes you can see the difference in kernel size, good on embedded systems.

Leave a comment:

• Marc Driftmeyer
    replied
    About time.

Leave a comment:

• carewolf
    replied
    Have they used LTO with GCC?

I can imagine it could reveal a lot of issues. Normally function calls into other object files works as a memory barrier. Once they can be inlined across object files with LTO, a lot more variables might need to be declared atomic or memory barriers added.

Leave a comment:

• latalante
    replied
    I compiled different versions of LTO (last 4.11).
    Various Linux kernel changes. Contribute to andikleen/linux-misc development by creating an account on GitHub.

Maybe in the synthetic benchmark of the kernel you can see the difference. In everyday use - none.
    Yes you can see the difference in kernel size, good on embedded systems.

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic Linux Kernel Patches Add Clang LTO Support

Linux Kernel Patches Add Clang LTO Support

Phoronix: Linux Kernel Patches Add Clang LTO Support

Patches by an Android security team member at Google allow the Linux kernel to be compiled with Clang using Link Time Optimizations (LTO)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X