Linux 4.14-rc6 Released: Linux 4.14 Kernel Final In 2~3 Weeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    ResponseWriter the patch for that issue has been sent and landed in mainline (so it should not be necessary to mount as "nossd" in future kernels), and has a pretty damn long commit description that is worth a read. https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...b4e43710293875
    Thanks!

I tried pretty much everything you mentioned and still continued to have a problem with it. Even with the df tool in btrfs it reports around 4GB free for data and 100MB free in metadata and yet still reports no space. I'll try the latest RC and if that fails probably nuke the partition and try again.

Comment

Originally posted by ResponseWriter View Post
      Even with the df tool in btrfs it reports around 4GB free for data and 100MB free in metadata and yet still reports no space.
      I have finally resolved this issue! The 100MB free in metadata was the critical thing because that is reserved for BTRFS, which I only found out by chance where mentioned on a blog post.

It got reached the point where `touch` to create an empty file would fail due to lack of space despite having 3GB or so free in data and the 100MB free in metadata. The balance and defragment commands would also fail with the same errors.

The solution was to add a device to the pool, rebalance and then delete the block device - something I consider beyond the abilities or interests of most people, although I appreciate it's not designed to be a simple, no fuss option. The rebalancing and scrubbing should probably have an option to occur automatically every nth mount, since they can run in the background, and send a notification somewhere to inform the user of the temporarily degraded performance. Actually, a minimal rebalance takes very little time at all.

Metadata has been resized to 1GB on this partition so that problem shouldn't occur again.

Thanks for the help to anyone that commented about this issue!

Comment

Working...
      X