Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Linux 4.14 Kernel Benchmarks Are Looking Promising

Phoronix: Early Linux 4.14 Kernel Benchmarks Are Looking Promising

I've begun running some Linux 4.14-rc1 kernel benchmarks and in some areas there appears to be nice gains with this in-development kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It is more like ext4 improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by enihcam View Post
      Maybe so, but the file system is about the slowest link in the chain when it comes to performance

Comment

The speed is looking nice.

Comment

Nice improvements. Looks like we get a great LTS kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by enihcam View Post
            Plus, now with -fomit-frame-pointer, improvements to the block layer, and CPUfreq improvements. To quote from the block layer update:

"- Improvements to the IO stats tracking for blk-mq from me. Can drastically improve performance for fast devices and/or big machines."

Doesn't say in the test results which I/O scheduler was used though. Might be worth adding to the info for reference.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
              Plus, now with -fomit-frame-pointer, improvements to the block layer, and CPUfreq improvements. To quote from the block layer update:

"- Improvements to the IO stats tracking for blk-mq from me. Can drastically improve performance for fast devices and/or big machines."

Doesn't say in the test results which I/O scheduler was used though. Might be worth adding to the info for reference.
              It's always included by default in the system tables... In this case, shows NONE for the scheduler.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                It's always included by default in the system tables... In this case, shows NONE for the scheduler.
                I was wondering what the NONE stood for. A little label would have been helpful. Thanks for explaining it though.

Comment

These are not minor improvements. Makes a little suspicious - is there a good reason there's so much of an improvement?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    These are not minor improvements. Makes a little suspicious - is there a good reason there's so much of an improvement?
                    Well, maybe

Comment

Working...
                    X