Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reiser4 Is Now Ready For Linux 4.13

Phoronix: Reiser4 Is Now Ready For Linux 4.13

For those wanting to use the Reiser4 file-system with the just-released Linux 4.13 kernel, patches are already available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Changes i did, nothing really interesting, just to get it to build :

* __GFP_REPEAT got renamed to __GFP_RETRY_MAYFAIL
    * bio->bi_error got renamed by bio->bi_status

Comment

Originally posted by RavFX View Post
      Changes i did, nothing really interesting, just to get it to build :

* __GFP_REPEAT got renamed to __GFP_RETRY_MAYFAIL
      * bio->bi_error got renamed by bio->bi_status
      Even better!
      Those are the best kind of 'fixes'

Too bad what happened with the creator of the FS, as i think it has potential...

Comment

So why is not renamed and merged into mainline?

Comment

Originally posted by gnufreex View Post
          So why is not renamed and merged into mainline?
          For the same reasons it wasn't merged back then, they don't want to conform to kernel coding standards and maintainer requests.

Comment

Anybody who has tried it? How it performs in comparison with btrfs or ext4?
            Last edited by Apopas; 08 September 2017, 11:00 AM.

Comment

I use it for all my storages right now. I did not bench it for a long while but for a thing, I did lose data with btrfs (could not mount it anymore) and ext4 (did not have an UPS in the nobarrier by default era) in the past, never with reiser4 (got a big issue mounting one time and fsck was segfaulting... but fsck got a patch next day to fix that, did lost a temporary iso that was downloading when that overclocked PC asked for more Vcore.)

Comment

Who uses Reiser4 these days? Any distro provides it as default?

Comment

Not many use it. It needs to be renamed in my opinion. It will always be the elephant in the room.

Comment

The main problem is that it is not part of the kernel. so it's kind of like using fglrx, but at lease you can port it yourself if you don't want to wait.
                    Plus it does not come with mainstream distrib by default as you have to patch the kernel and recompile it, with is the deal breaker for most.

The name is not that of a thing. Dude is in jail and serve his time.

Comment

Working...
                    X