Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    if it doesn't require blobs then it isn't affected by deblobbing
    Are you aware that the firmware packages contain a lot of blobs? The idea is to have only free/libre software installed. So yes, it is deblobbed. Why would you need blobs on your system that are not required anyway ☺️

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Ok, so it's either Sandy or Ivy bridge Intel hardware, as talked above.

Is the laptop board firmware enforcing a wifi card whitelist?
      I didn't bother trying to change out the internal wifi card. It sits on someone's desk all day attached to ethernet, taking phone orders and writing emails. I wouldn't bother trying to make it more portable - must weigh nearly 10 pounds.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
        Are you aware that the firmware packages contain a lot of blobs? The idea is to have only free/libre software installed. So yes, it is deblobbed. Why would you need blobs on your system that are not required anyway ☺️
        For the same reason I keep drivers for most stuff too when is not used.
        Because that way I don't need to waste time installing them when I connect new hardware. That's one of the main points of Linux distros, supported hardware is all plug-and-play, no manual installation required.

It's not like the firmwares can somehow spring to life on their own and start harming my system.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Tell that to the Dell laptop in the office next to mine that's been running Linux-libre without a hitch for the past 3 years (Arch Parabola FSF-approved distro). Everything just works.
          right, this is something bussinesses want for security.

Comment

A shady deal where Intel makes some CPUs with backdoored ROMs specifically for NSA?
            Some?
            I think all their CPUs have the embedded microcode that allows government agencies access to the specific machine.
            Others have been suggesting that these backdoors are shipped as "OTA updates", which would be kind of stupid on behalf of said government agencies: they would be relying on an easily blockable and altogether very fickle delivery system. Burning your backdoor into the silicon is much more elegant and logical.

Comment

...placing a gun and a potato in the same drawer makes them both a deadly weapon.
              And now I'm remembering how they killed the flying monsters in Tremors 3 (using something cobbled-together and inspired by the idea of a potato gun). Thanks for the laugh!

Comment

Yeah, I second this. Reverse-engineering isn't a solution and does get into the legal territory. Open hardware, much less.
                I would prefer a mixed approach. But doing it would require a highly equipped facility with ******LOTS****** of funds, that would change everything. Anyone remembers the USSR clones of occidental technology? Something like that but Open Hardware as much as possible and release everything they make.

Comment

Originally posted by mulenmar View Post
                  And now I'm remembering how they killed the flying monsters in Tremors 3 (using something cobbled-together and inspired by the idea of a potato gun). Thanks for the laugh!
                  My ISP is being uncooperative so I can't post the picture of my Tremors DVDs, but that really is one of the great movie series of all times.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

My ISP is being uncooperative so I can't post the picture of my Tremors DVDs, but that really is one of the great movie series of all times.
                    It's certainly the good kind of unique. There was a TV series of it too, but I never saw that.

Comment

Good point... I was going to try to find DVDs of the TV series but it fell off the bottom of my things-to-do list.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X