Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.13 Should Be Released Today With Its Many New Features

Phoronix: Linux 4.13 Should Be Released Today With Its Many New Features

Unless there is a last minute hiccup, the Linux 4.13 kernel should be officially released before the day is through...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The big question for me is if there will be display support for Vega and Raven in 4.14. Interested in both but I can wait...

Comment

From a July apparmor article here - "This request does not contain any of the newer apparmor mediation features/controls (mount, signals, network, keys, ...) that Ubuntu is currently carrying, all of which will be RFC'd on top of this."

Any indication that those new features will arrive in 4.14, now that the base code has arrived in 4.13?

Thinking of SLES15/Leap15, and Ubuntu 18.04.
      Last edited by Jedibeeftrix; 03 September 2017, 10:50 AM.

Comment

It's a good news

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          wirte hint support for NVMe storage devices

Comment

Looks like the Cherry Trail Dollar Cove TI PMIC is going to be in 4.14, which is real nice. No more custom kernel patching!

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
              The big question for me is if there will be display support for Vega and Raven in 4.14. Interested in both but I can wait...
              I don't think so. You need DC so you need amdgpu-pro kenrel or Alex's kernel branch with staging name.

Maybe 4.15 will be the one.
              Last edited by frosth; 03 September 2017, 01:40 PM. Reason: typo, link

Comment

Originally posted by frosth View Post
                I don't think so. You need DC so you need amdgpu-pro kenrel or Alex's kernel branch with staging name.
                https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...d-staging-4.11
                Maybe 4.15 will be the one.
                It will be such a blemish on AMD if users trying to put Linux on systems built with AMD APUs for the next six months to twelve months cannot do so because the GPU cannot work.

I get why Vega can be held up - its a niche product. If you want to use Vega, the Pro driver works. But the Raven Ridge APUs are supposed to be huge for them, and would be the perfect domain of cheap Linux desktops or kiosks if the GPU actually worked on Linux! And you have no real alternative other than to use a discrete supported GPU if you want to get Raven Ridge until then. What a disaster.

Any idea if the video outs are supported? IE the computer can at least render to the screen painfully slow with a software renderer without DC. If the actual chipset video outputs don't work that is just catastrophically bad.

Comment

There's also HDMI audio for SI cards in amdgpu with 4.13

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                    But the Raven Ridge APUs are supposed to be huge for them, and would be the perfect domain of cheap Linux desktops or kiosks if the GPU actually worked on Linux! And you have no real alternative other than to use a discrete supported GPU if you want to get Raven Ridge until then. What a disaster.
                    It's not good at all, but it's not a disaster. There are third-party pre-compiled packages with that patch merged for most distros.
                    So it will be relatively annoying, but doable.
                    You'd do like it was done for other GPUs not supported yet in your distro of choice (Intel for example) or other graphics issues. You install linux on the drive while using another PC with supported hardware, add third party repos and configure things, and then power off and move the drive on the new system.

Comment

Working...
                    X