X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• andreano
    replied
    One thing I think is uncontroversial:
    Are there anyone who prefers dnf over zypper?

IIRC, the dnf developer said zypper lacked a python backend or api (or something) – not anything user visible.

Anyway, you can use zypper on Fedora (not sure if the repos are compatible): I did that to chroot-install OpenSuse once.
    Last edited by andreano; 09-03-2017, 06:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• AdamOne
    replied
    everybody has an opinion on this, but i dont think this is particularly noteworthy

I understand that this is not my enterprise, and appreciate the opportunity to have my say but I feel that progress is natural, and maybe it is that I dont know who this will hurt, I just feel like we all know that some times some things got to go. I hope Im not being too blunt. Oh well. Hafa Adai.
    Last edited by AdamOne; 09-03-2017, 08:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
    Yeah, let's get angry about change management, contingency plans, QA and other engineering concepts. Let feelings guide us to fame and glory! /sarcasm
    He said getting angry about "some decisions", all those buzzwords are unrelated.

Leave a comment:

• Delgarde
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
    It's been a few years since I ran Fedora, but when I did dnf was rock solid. So I'm not surprised by this move.
    I'm surprised only by how long they're waiting. It was justifiable to have both yum and dnf side-by-side for one release - but that was F22, when dnf became the default. I really don't understand the reasoning for keeping them both - with their own package databases - for at least six releases. What's the reasoning for not dropping it back in F23?

Leave a comment:

• finalzone
    replied
    Originally posted by srakitnican View Post
    About Gnome Software, until dnf and PackageKit does not come along sharing background data I am not even thinking about using it, and that seems to be the general thoughts. Gnome Software goes a step further and downloads packages for update in the background by default in addition to its own copy of repositories metadata, a real nightmare for someone on limited connection. So if dnf is used instead for the upgrade packages are downloaded again.
    The culprit is from libdnf, backend for PackageKit, which is still incomplete and working in progress. Work for unifying database for both dnf and Packagekit is under way and expected for at least Fedora 28

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Slackware .tgz forever!!!!11

Leave a comment:

• Anvil
    replied
    my guess Fedora will re-number it to Yum-4.0.0 which im sure has been talked about , but with DNF it'll eventually support Modules also, the old Yum never did that

Leave a comment:

• srakitnican
    replied
    About Gnome Software, until dnf and PackageKit does not come along sharing background data I am not even thinking about using it, and that seems to be the general thoughts. Gnome Software goes a step further and downloads packages for update in the background by default in addition to its own copy of repositories metadata, a real nightmare for someone on limited connection. So if dnf is used instead for the upgrade packages are downloaded again.

Leave a comment:

• Zan Lynx
    replied
    Originally posted by cen1 View Post
    Yum was replaced with dnf and it works 95% the same way. Btrfs is a failed filesystem. I am not angry about anything. Fedora 26 user.
    "failed?"

Strictly anecdotal, but so far I've had fewer issues with btrfs than I've had with XFS, EXT3 and LVM. Ah, the number of kernel stack crashes I used to get with device mapper snapshots and XFS...the memories. The memories are terrible.

With btrfs I've had to occasionally add space with a thumb drive and rebalance. With XFS/LVM I once had to build a custom kernel with more stack space just so I could mount it.

Leave a comment:

• cen1
    replied
    Yum was replaced with dnf and it works 95% the same way. Btrfs is a failed filesystem. I am not angry about anything. Fedora 26 user.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X