No announcement yet.

Fedora's Yum Could Soon See Retirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I prefer Zypper though Dnf is definitely better than Yum.

Comment

As long as all yum functionality has been implemented in dnf, I see absolutely no problems. Dnf works ok for me.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
        FYI PackageKit and Gnome-Software is authored by the same GNOME developer.
        And they're both terrible. I'll take Synaptic over that mess any day.

Comment

If I were a Fedora guy, I'd be getting angry about some of their decisions. Announcing that both yum and btrfs will be unsupported, while still running 4 months or more behind on its Gnome version. Seems like a distro that has significant problems deciding between being conservative and being disruptive to its users.

I used it around Fedora 21, and thought it was fine, but couldn't find any advantages over running Tumbleweed and having more current software on a more stably supported base.

Comment

Yum was replaced with dnf and it works 95% the same way. Btrfs is a failed filesystem. I am not angry about anything. Fedora 26 user.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
              Yum was replaced with dnf and it works 95% the same way. Btrfs is a failed filesystem. I am not angry about anything. Fedora 26 user.
              "failed?"

Strictly anecdotal, but so far I've had fewer issues with btrfs than I've had with XFS, EXT3 and LVM. Ah, the number of kernel stack crashes I used to get with device mapper snapshots and XFS...the memories. The memories are terrible.

With btrfs I've had to occasionally add space with a thumb drive and rebalance. With XFS/LVM I once had to build a custom kernel with more stack space just so I could mount it.

Comment

About Gnome Software, until dnf and PackageKit does not come along sharing background data I am not even thinking about using it, and that seems to be the general thoughts. Gnome Software goes a step further and downloads packages for update in the background by default in addition to its own copy of repositories metadata, a real nightmare for someone on limited connection. So if dnf is used instead for the upgrade packages are downloaded again.

Comment

my guess Fedora will re-number it to Yum-4.0.0 which im sure has been talked about , but with DNF it'll eventually support Modules also, the old Yum never did that

Comment

Slackware .tgz forever!!!!11

Comment

Originally posted by srakitnican View Post
                      About Gnome Software, until dnf and PackageKit does not come along sharing background data I am not even thinking about using it, and that seems to be the general thoughts. Gnome Software goes a step further and downloads packages for update in the background by default in addition to its own copy of repositories metadata, a real nightmare for someone on limited connection. So if dnf is used instead for the upgrade packages are downloaded again.
                      The culprit is from libdnf, backend for PackageKit, which is still incomplete and working in progress. Work for unifying database for both dnf and Packagekit is under way and expected for at least Fedora 28

Comment

Working...
                      X