Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora's Yum Could Soon See Retirement

Phoronix: Fedora's Yum Could Soon See Retirement

With the DNF package manager working out well on recent Fedora releases, Yum could soon see retirement on the Fedora front...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

'Did not finish' is finished?

Comment

As someone who has always prefered using openSUSE's zypper (also available on Sailfish) for RPM,
      and Debian's aptitude for DEB packages, I will say:
      good ridance.

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
      'Did not finish' is finished?
      Now it's supposed to be "DaNdiFied".
      (And not "Duke Nukem Forever")

Comment

Not surprising in the least, though I guess the news is not the retirement, it's the timeline for doing so.
        Now waiting for a bittorrent capable package manager.

Comment

In favour of flatpak?

Comment

Originally posted by Kendji View Post
            In favour of flatpak?
            Did you read the news? In favour of dnf. They are not getting rid of rpm packages any time soon. Probably the intention, at least for now, is not even replace all rpms with flatpaks.

I've used dnf pretty much since it was available and declared stable (I don't remember which was first) without problems. Now, if I use CentOS, I often write dnf and then get a error message about missing command. Maybe I should alias dnf to yum on those systems, since they are mostly (or totally?) compatible.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post

Did you read the news? In favour of dnf. They are not getting rid of rpm packages any time soon. Probably the intention, at least for now, is not even replace all rpms with flatpaks.

I've used dnf pretty much since it was available and declared stable (I don't remember which was first) without problems. Now, if I use CentOS, I often write dnf and then get a error message about missing command. Maybe I should alias dnf to yum on those systems, since they are mostly (or totally?) compatible.
              It's been a few years since I ran Fedora, but when I did dnf was rock solid. So I'm not surprised by this move.

Comment

Originally posted by DrYak View Post
                [..]
                Now it's supposed to be "DaNdiFied".
                (And not "Duke Nukem Forever")
                I thought it stood for Do Not Fedora.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
                  YUM is easily replaced with DNF. For desktop use there is also The Standard Software Center.
                  I hate Gnome Software, and I've always seen conflicts with PackageKit, specially in the past. If I ever need to use a gui I would opt for DnfDragora after I used Yumex-Dnf for years (which now seems to be unmaintained).

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
                    For desktop use there is also The Standard Software Center.
                    Trolls are like geese. They sh!t everywhere and they never leave...

Comment

Working...
                    X