Fedora's Yum Could Soon See Retirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
    It's been a few years since I ran Fedora, but when I did dnf was rock solid. So I'm not surprised by this move.
    I'm surprised only by how long they're waiting. It was justifiable to have both yum and dnf side-by-side for one release - but that was F22, when dnf became the default. I really don't understand the reasoning for keeping them both - with their own package databases - for at least six releases. What's the reasoning for not dropping it back in F23?

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
      Yeah, let's get angry about change management, contingency plans, QA and other engineering concepts. Let feelings guide us to fame and glory! /sarcasm
      He said getting angry about "some decisions", all those buzzwords are unrelated.

Comment

everybody has an opinion on this, but i dont think this is particularly noteworthy

I understand that this is not my enterprise, and appreciate the opportunity to have my say but I feel that progress is natural, and maybe it is that I dont know who this will hurt, I just feel like we all know that some times some things got to go. I hope Im not being too blunt. Oh well. Hafa Adai.
        Last edited by AdamOne; 09-03-2017, 08:13 AM.

Comment

One thing I think is uncontroversial:
          Are there anyone who prefers dnf over zypper?

IIRC, the dnf developer said zypper lacked a python backend or api (or something) – not anything user visible.

Anyway, you can use zypper on Fedora (not sure if the repos are compatible): I did that to chroot-install OpenSuse once.
          Last edited by andreano; 09-03-2017, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X