Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oracle Is Looking To Offload Java EE To A New Steward

Phoronix: Oracle Is Looking To Offload Java EE To A New Steward

Oracle is looking to move Java EE off into an open foundation for future development...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Knowing Oracle, this simply means they're looking to cut back on funding.
    As much as I like JavaEE, it's becoming way too complex in a microservices world and they've been adding all sorts of weird stuff to the platform (MVC, really?). Plus, it has lost its cool factor and every kid these days thinks there's only Spring.

Comment

This gives me the same kind of willies that I got when Microsoft announced they were moving from their own compiler suite to LLVM. Both are obvious ploys to move the cost of development to the open source community and other companies while continuing to reap the exact same benefits as before.

Seeing how they've pretty much discontinued all Solaris development, killed off SPARC hardware, let the open source community do what they wanted with Star Office and are now in the process of flogging off Java EE development to companies that more interested in actually paying for it, is there really anything left of Sun Microsystems?
      Last edited by L_A_G; 18 August 2017, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        Knowing Oracle, this simply means they're looking to cut back on funding.
        As much as I like JavaEE, it's becoming way too complex in a microservices world and they've been adding all sorts of weird stuff to the platform (MVC, really?). Plus, it has lost its cool factor and every kid these days thinks there's only Spring.
        Too complex in a microservices world? Not really. There is a huge push around JavaEE and microservices right now. And it fits quite nicely since you can pick and choose which JavaEE components you want to include. servlet+jax-rs+jpa+optional CDI and you have a lean REST API microservice with all the JavaEE bells and whistles without the bloat of an application server. Deploy in Docker and call it a day. Works surprisingly well, spring boot level good.

If moving JavaEE spec to a foundation means it would be able to adapt to this new world quickly I am all for it. Seems like Oracle was the main blocker now.
        Last edited by cen1; 18 August 2017, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post

Too complex in a microservices world? Not really. There is a huge push around JavaEE and microservices right now. And it fits quite nicely since you can pick and choose which JavaEE components you want to include. servlet+jax-rs+jpa+optional CDI and you have a lean REST API microservice with all the JavaEE bells and whistles without the bloat of an application server. Deploy in Docker and call it a day. Works surprisingly well, spring boot level good.

If moving JavaEE spec to a foundation means it would be able to adapt to this new world quickly I am all for it. Seems like Oracle was the main blocker now.
          The problem is, there are better, simpler alternatives to servlet+jax-rs+jpa and perhaps even CDI. Fwiw, I think Spring Boot is also bloat, in that it adds little value and is documented rather poorly. I'd rather start an application the old fashioned way.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Oracle continues develping Java EE 8

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
              This gives me the same kind of willies that I got when Microsoft announced they were moving from their own compiler suite to LLVM. Both are obvious ploys to move the cost of development to the open source community and other companies while continuing to reap the exact same benefits as before.

Seeing how they've pretty much discontinued all Solaris development, killed off SPARC hardware, let the open source community do what they wanted with Star Office and are now in the process of flogging off Java EE development to companies that more interested in actually paying for it, is there really anything left of Sun Microsystems?
              This isn't necessary bad. Java and JavaEE are old, legacy products. They can't just magically upgrade them to 2010s. Java 9 is a pretty nice upgrade, but still, it's nothing to write home about. Nowadays it seems people still care about JVM, but not so much about JavaEE.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

This isn't necessary bad. Java and JavaEE are old, legacy products. They can't just magically upgrade them to 2010s. Java 9 is a pretty nice upgrade, but still, it's nothing to write home about. Nowadays it seems people still care about JVM, but not so much about JavaEE.
                Exactly. And I would guess that Oracle (by dint of its apparently not-very-community-friendly attitude when it comes the development of Java) has implicitly encouraged the development of better programming languages that run on the JVM (Kotlin, Ceylon, Scala, Clojure, Groovy, JRuby etc.).

The JVM is ubiquitous and well-developed, but Java is stuck in the past in many ways. Also, it doesn't look as if Oracle will *ever* be able to leverage its ownership over Java the way it likely intended (forcing Google to pay up via lawsuit), so from a business standpoint it's all really downsides by now.

Oracle's likely thinking "The community asked for Open Governance: Let's give it to them and try to remain at least a little relevant going forward, hopefully reaping some community goodwill along the way. Who knows, maybe we'll get cool features for free? It's worth a shot anyway."

Or at least, that's my take.

Comment

Oreacle does not seem to know to be inspired by the success of other Java or Javascript frameworks and in the same time to have a substantial profit.

Comment

Originally posted by onicsis View Post
                    Oreacle does not seem to know to be inspired by the success of other Java or Javascript frameworks and in the same time to have a substantial profit.
                    Despite their current ineptitude, I wish it was IBM who had succeeded in buying Sun. IMO Java et. al. may have been in a much better place today.

Comment

Working...
                    X