Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PostgreSQL 10 Beta 3 Arrives

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • PostgreSQL 10 Beta 3 Arrives

    Phoronix: PostgreSQL 10 Beta 3 Arrives

    Those wishing to do some database testing this weekend can try out PostgreSQL 10's third beta update, which was released earlier this week...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...eSQL-10-Beta-3

  • #2
    Are the SQL standards by ISO written by Oracle Corporation?

    Does PostgreSQL support/adhere to the SQL:2016 standard?

    What happened to the SQL/JSON draft, is it part of the standard yet? Is it still a draft?

    PostgreSQL does have some support for JSON but it is different from the JSON support in Oracle Database and Microsoft SQL Server.

    PostgreSQL seems nice, but if you use the JSON stuff then you are locked into PostgreSQL since its different from other databases with JSON support. Also the user space tooling will clutter your file system.

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm not sure who writes the standards, but I know Oracle does have a hand in it.

      And no, Postgres does not adhere to the SQL:2016 standard fully. The SQL/JSON draft was part of SQL:2016 as far as I am aware. And on that note, it's worth pointing out that Postgres had JSON support well before this draft was proposed and the kind of support it has via JSONB is of a significantly better quality since it allows them to optimize the storage and retrieval of JSON, something the standard doesn't really consider.

      All that being said, there is work on supporting SQL/JSON[1] so you don't have to worry about lock-in, although with something open source like Postgres that shouldn't really be much of a worry anyway (although the pain of porting things can be great, it is at least possible to do so without needing to reverse engineer).

      I think it's odd that you mention the user-space tooling in a post about JSON support and they're unrelated. Postgres has a number of binaries for specific tasks. As long as there's not a collision I don't see what the problem is.

      [1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-i...mail.gmail.com

      Comment


      • #4
        Posters could really do with some work to make clustering a trivial matter. It shouldn't take expert knowledge these days to point multiple DB instances at each other and tell them to cluster.

        You can cluster ElasticSearch almost accidentally.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Are the SQL standards by ISO written by Oracle Corporation?

          Does PostgreSQL support/adhere to the SQL:2016 standard?

          What happened to the SQL/JSON draft, is it part of the standard yet? Is it still a draft?

          PostgreSQL does have some support for JSON but it is different from the JSON support in Oracle Database and Microsoft SQL Server.

          PostgreSQL seems nice, but if you use the JSON stuff then you are locked into PostgreSQL since its different from other databases with JSON support. Also the user space tooling will clutter your file system.
          You're beginning to sound a lot like debianxfce. Whenever you post in a thread about something it's about a missing feature and how hard that makes life for you. It would have taken you a minute to google SQL:2016 to find out JSON is one of the handful of new features it brings to the table.

          Quite frankly, JSON seems like a wasteful encoding for data in a DB. But I see how it could be useful for interop or tooling.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            Quite frankly, JSON seems like a wasteful encoding for data in a DB. But I see how it could be useful for interop or tooling.
            It adds a bit of Document Store/NoSQL support and JSON is nice when doing web development since it's built into JavaScript, so it adds a few "bonus points" for choosing PostgreSQL as a db. The indexing support is nice too, so queries are quite fast.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by bug77 View Post

              You're beginning to sound a lot like debianxfce. Whenever you post in a thread about something it's about a missing feature and how hard that makes life for you. It would have taken you a minute to google SQL:2016 to find out JSON is one of the handful of new features it brings to the table.

              Quite frankly, JSON seems like a wasteful encoding for data in a DB. But I see how it could be useful for interop or tooling.
              Yeah, but I don't know if SQL/JSON is part of the SQL:2016 standard. Also, I don't know if the SQL:2016 just includes a JSON function, or a JSON data type, or what kind of JSON support it actually includes.

              There are a lot of us grown up on relational databases which now work a lot with JSON and would love to use JSON storage, but without having to use a NoSQL database like MongoDB because it is so different.

              Comment

              Working...
              X