GNU C Library 2.26 Released With Per-Thread Cache For Greater Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU C Library 2.26 Released With Per-Thread Cache For Greater Performance

Phoronix: GNU C Library 2.26 Released With Per-Thread Cache For Greater Performance

Today marks the release of GNU C Library version 2.26 and it's a big release with one feature we have been looking forward to...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

yup, updated - https://t2sde.org/packages/glibc.html, let's rebuild world and see what fails ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
      yup, updated - https://t2sde.org/packages/glibc.html, let's rebuild world and see what fails ;-)
      On my LFS build, it was gcc 7.1.0 that failed (fixed in newer GCC snapshot), clang (compiler-rt part) of llvm-4.0.1, chromium (bug report filled) and at least one more package.

Edit: There was also qemu and flex (not compile, but runtime error)
      Last edited by Krejzi; 02 August 2017, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Will we get performance tests?

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
          Will we get performance tests?
          People use XMalloc or stack allocation for thread-local storage, both of which don't need locks. The great thing about this is that it will reduce the need for XMalloc and stack allocation, which will simplify coding and help prevent sloppy programmers from writing code vulnerable to buffer overflows. So it's good for the language, programmers, and end users... I doubt there will be any meaningful performance improvements in any major packages as a result of this.

Comment

BTW I did run some tests on malloc performance between glibc 2.25, glibc 2.26 and jemalloc:

OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

shows a very nice performance increase for glibc 2.26

Comment

Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post

People use XMalloc or stack allocation for thread-local storage, both of which don't need locks. The great thing about this is that it will reduce the need for XMalloc and stack allocation, which will simplify coding and help prevent sloppy programmers from writing code vulnerable to buffer overflows. So it's good for the language, programmers, and end users... I doubt there will be any meaningful performance improvements in any major packages as a result of this.
              Holy crap though when a major app like Redis fails to optimise malloc it makes a huge difference. +80% throughput for LPOP!

Comment

Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post

Holy crap though when a major app like Redis fails to optimise malloc it makes a huge difference. +80% throughput for LPOP!
                I do not think it is the job of the app to optimize malloc, that should actually indeed be the job of the low level experts in the libc and kernel, ...

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post

I do not think it is the job of the app to optimize malloc, that should actually indeed be the job of the low level experts in the libc and kernel, ...
                  Exactly what I said above...

Comment

Working...
                  X