Initial Batch Of AMDGPU Changes Submitted For Linux 4.14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

AFAIK the amdgpu driver only controls merging of audio data into the video stream going out over the display connector; it's not an audio driver.

Are you saying that the audio driver supports these modes but the amdgpu driver does not ? If so then that is something we should look at, but my impression was that we were primarily limited by the audio driver.
    Is there anyway you could give us an ETA or progress report on DC?

Comment

direx I think I responded to the wrong thread, because I'm pretty sure I wrote that in response to something else.

But as Bridgman said, it should be determined by your audio card driver not by the video card driver, assuming I'm not misunderstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        AFAIK the amdgpu driver only controls merging of audio data into the video stream going out over the display connector; it's not an audio driver.

Are you saying that the audio driver supports these modes but the amdgpu driver does not ? If so then that is something we should look at, but my impression was that we were primarily limited by the audio driver.
        Well I do not know exactly which part is failing here. All I know is that my old Ivy Bridge HTPC does Dolby Atmos flawlessly out of the box (sorry for the constant Intel comparison, but that is the system I was previously using). And since the Intel boxes also use the same ALSA infrastructure I'd assume that this is not an ALSA or snd-hda-intel limitation.

I have already opened a bug about this on fdo Bugzilla (#101900), I was assuming that that is the right place. I could also provide more information there if it is required but at the moment it does not look like input is required from me over there.

Comment

Depends on whether the limiting factor is graphics driver or audio driver. FDO is the right place for graphics driver but not for audio...
          Test signature

Comment

The audio features (ATMOS, DTS, etc.) supported are based on the audio codec used on the board, not the GPU. All the GPU driver does is pass the audio information from the monitor to the audio driver and enable the audio stream in the display stream. If the codec does not support a certain audio feature, there's nothing the GPU driver can do about it.

Comment

Working...
            X