Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVM 5.0-RC1 Up For Testing

Phoronix: LLVM 5.0-RC1 Up For Testing

Following the LLVM 5 branching earlier this week, release manager Hans Wennborg has now tagged the first release candidate...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hello,

some dimwit is spreading rumours about Phoronix being too stupid to apply compiler flags properly:

Phoronix recently published an article “ Ryzen Compiler Performance: Clang 4/5 vs. GCC 6/7/8 Benchmarks ”, and there are many results in th...

Please reassure your readers that Phoronix knows what they're doing, and thanks in advance.

Comment

If you do a CFLAGS="-O2 -O3" then -O3 takes precedence, CFLAGS="-O3 -O2" it's -O2 that takes precedence, it's a feature I sometimes take advantage of updating the flags for individual packages.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        If you do a CFLAGS="-O2 -O3" then -O3 takes precedence, CFLAGS="-O3 -O2" it's -O2 that takes precedence, it's a feature I sometimes take advantage of updating the flags for individual packages.
        Of course this is a well known behaviour not only found with compilers but many command-line tools. While it's possible for Phoronix to make mistakes do I have my doubts they'd be making one as obvious as this one. Anyhow, it's either a faux pas by Phoronix or an elaborate troll by a blogger.

Comment

There actually was a problem with the PTS test, and it was fixed. It's not about being stupid or not, every piece of software has bugs, including the PTS.

OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

Revision History
          pts/scimark2-1.3.0 [25 Jul 2017 09:13:45 UTC]
          - Remove accidentally left in -O1 from build string

Comment

Working...
          X