Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Git 2.14 Starts Getting Aligned For Release

Phoronix: Git 2.14 Starts Getting Aligned For Release

Junio Hamano has today announced the first preview release of Git 2.14 version control system in the form of Git 2.14-rc0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Git is so inconsequently.

'git branch' list branches.
    'git tag' lists tags.
    But 'git stash' stashes your changes, so if you want to list the stashes, then you do 'git stash list'.

Git is very weird, unintuitive and difficult.

Comment

I have one philisophical-ish question... do they use git to manage versions for git development?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Git is so inconsequently.

'git branch' list branches.
        'git tag' lists tags.
        But 'git stash' stashes your changes, so if you want to list the stashes, then you do 'git stash list'.

Git is very weird, unintuitive and difficult.
        And svn is so much better. It has no branches or tags or stashes. Or revert. Or rebase.
        Yes, git has a (very) steep learning curve, but it's still the best VCS I've ever used.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

And svn is so much better. It has no branches or tags or stashes. Or revert. Or rebase.
          SVN has all of those things, except stashes. Don't spread disinformation about tools if you don't know how they work or what they provide.

Comment

Originally posted by wodencafe View Post

SVN has all of those things, except stashes. Don't spread disinformation about tools if you don't know how they work or what they provide.
            Oh really? What's the command to create a branch in svn? And what's the command to create a tag?

Comment

Oh really? What's the command to create a branch in svn? And what's the command to create a tag?
              Tags and branches do exist in SVN (google it), but GIT handles it a lot better IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by OneBitUser View Post
                I have one philisophical-ish question... do they use git to manage versions for git development?
                yes. This is a public mirror of the main development repo. https://github.com/git/git

Comment

I do not know about the command line part of SVN, but we use Tortoise SVN on Windows 10 at work for managing technical documentation written in DITA XML.
                  It does have branches and it does support reverting to previous versions, but it is clearly inferior to git.
                  Branches in SVN are a PITA, merging them seems like a nightmare, and conflict resolution is annoying and rudimentary at best, I think.

These are just some of the reasons why our company is going to switch over to github soon... even though SVN has the features, their implementation is inferior to git's.

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  yes. This is a public mirror of the main development repo. https://github.com/git/git
                  I meant it as sort-of a joke, but I am not really surprised at the answer!
                  Last edited by OneBitUser; 14 July 2017, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OneBitUser View Post

I do not know about the command line part of SVN, but we use Tortoise SVN on Windows 10 at work for managing technical documentation written in DITA XML.
                    It does have branches and it does support reverting to previous versions, but it is clearly inferior to git.
                    Branches in SVN are a PITA, merging them seems like a nightmare, and conflict resolution is annoying and rudimentary at best, I think.

These are just some of the reasons why our company is going to switch over to github soon... even though SVN has the features, their implementation is inferior to git's.
                    If you ever bother to look under TortoiseSVN (kids these days...), you'll be delighted to discover svn does not actually have branches and tags. It has copies.

Comment

Working...
                    X