Git 2.14 Starts Getting Aligned For Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

If you ever bother to look under TortoiseSVN (kids these days...), you'll be delighted to discover svn does not actually have branches and tags. It has copies.
    No, thank you!
    I'm just happy to leave SVN behind when we finally move to git... hopefully by the end of the year.

Comment

The important thing to remember about branches and tags in svn is that an svn repository represents a versioned directory structure. There's conventions on how this directory structure is segmented to supply the concept of branches and tags, including master. A local svn repo can have any level of the svn repo checked out including a random dir, a branch, a tag or everything. I've noted majority of people migrating from svn to git come to ask the question "hey, how do I make a partial checkout in git like in svn because my repo has these semantical modules". The answer is you can't, you need to split it to multiple repos

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
        The important thing to remember about branches and tags in svn is that an svn repository represents a versioned directory structure. There's conventions on how this directory structure is segmented to supply the concept of branches and tags, including master. A local svn repo can have any level of the svn repo checked out including a random dir, a branch, a tag or everything. I've noted majority of people migrating from svn to git come to ask the question "hey, how do I make a partial checkout in git like in svn because my repo has these semantical modules". The answer is you can't, you need to split it to multiple repos
        Oh, if I had a penny for each time I've seen broken builds because of partial svn checkouts...

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Oh, if I had a penny for each time I've seen broken builds because of partial svn checkouts...
          Yes, and thus parties like Microsoft rigged VFS on top into Git to make it delay-fetch stuff so they don't need to worry about rigorous modularization but still don't get full-repo checkouts/clones

Comment

Working...
          X