X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by michal
      I think that systemd is one of most hated piece of software around. people hated early versions of windows, but it changed over time. systemd is not as controversial as it was at the begining, but still haters circle is large.
      It's not large, just extremely vocal. All the main distros have switched to systemd, so that virtually everyone has been runming it for years now. Most people just couldn't care less as long as their diatro of choice works. Some people like it and then there is a tiny group of haters who whine on forums on how Evil Lennart is trying to take their obsolete and stupidly non-designed UNIX(tm) away. Check out Devuan's market share to see how much do they really count (hint: not much).

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

People in redhat are simply stupid, reinventing the wheel and using non-modular design at binary level. Avoid systemd, pulseaudio, networkmanger and gnome3 if you can.
        This post clearly shows how ignorant the people who hate systemd are.

systemd is extremely modular. Pretty much anything that comes after a hyphen (e.g. -networkd, -logind, etc) is optional unless your distro builds it all into one (and even then I'm pretty sure you can disable most of them).

And as for the whole "UNIX Philosophy" thing, when you show me a perfectly UNIX-like Linux distro, especially one with the speed and most importantly simplicity of a systemd-using Linux distro, then we can talk.

Comment

People are still enthusiastic about systemd after this: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...8-root-exploit news? This is exactly the reason I've ignored systemd. Too unsafe by all the functions they added that don't even belong in an init system.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverMachine View Post
            People are still enthusiastic about systemd after this: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...8-root-exploit news? This is exactly the reason I've ignored systemd. Too unsafe by all the functions they added that don't even belong in an init system.
            So this is from that linked article in Jan 2017
            Systemd 228 shipped at the end of 2015 ... The issue ended up being silently fixed in January of last year ... The issue was fixed in systemd 229, so just make sure your systems are not running v228.
            So, this was an older release, a little over a year, where a new release fixed it not long after? And due to that, you're deeming systemd as unsafe and refuse to use it? There have been plenty of exploits found in the past with other Linux software, with far longer durations before they were fixed. Are you saying the choices you use instead of systemd have never had exploits, or for that matter anything that composes your OS? By your logic you shouldn't use an OS.

Furthermore, you needed local access to even perform the exploit. There have been far worse exploits where you would be more vulnerable to attack, the chance that you'd be affected as a desktop user would be minimal, if you had a server instead, one would hope that it was well secured preventing the local access in the first place, else you have more important problems to be concerned about.

systemd is great imo. I don't think many of those against it understand the benefits of why or the problems that distro maintainers and users would have prior.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              I would actually be very happy if systemd-resolved coud offer a good replacement for Dnsmasq, since is installed by default on My distro of choice, and allow me to set it in a way that it replies with localhost IP address (127.0.0.1) for every request to a .dev domain.
              Dnsmasq does a very good job helping in Web developing with Apache virtual hosts.
              I wish systemd-resolved would do this part too, so I don't have to install Dnsmasq server alongside and have 2 servers for the same thing.
              Somebody asked if it's possible to do this with systemd-resolved and the answer suggests that it's not possible.
              I use Ubuntu for development. And I've build my dev env with using dnsmasq for resolving my dev hostnames, usually it's: <projectname>.dev.net So I set up my own DNS server for getting pro...

And this is what I'm using Dnsmasq for
              https://askubuntu.com/questions/2331...e-to-127-0-0-1
              Is there currently a feature request for this? I think it would be a reasonable request if it is not there already. Just make sure you add context to the request so everyone is on the same page!

Comment

People in redhat are simply stupid, reinventing the wheel and using non-modular design at binary level. Avoid systemd, pulseaudio, networkmanger and gnome3 if you can.
                Literally all the pieces of software you named there are highly modular.
                systemd and Gnome 3 in particular. Heck.

Comment

Debian testing Xfce runs without systemd running.

I managed to run Debian testing Xfce without systemd in a Amlogic S912 tv box and Virtualbox. Run as root the following commands: apt-get install sysvinit-core
                  Rather unrelated to the problem at hand. You're like a bad marketer who doesn't understand what he's selling...

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post

Literally all the pieces of software you named there are highly modular.
                    systemd and Gnome 3 in particular. Heck.
                    Yeah but the trouble with systemd and Gnome 3 in particular is that they basically actually work, are user friendly and don't need to be barely held together by a morass of crappy unreproducible sh scripts. Therefore they violate the sacrosanct Unix Philosophy and should be banned from existence.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverMachine View Post
                      People are still enthusiastic about systemd after this: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...8-root-exploit news? This is exactly the reason I've ignored systemd.
                      You show us any piece of useful software that has never ever had a bug.

Too unsafe by all the functions they added that don't even belong in an init system.
                      You should do some research on systemd before spouting rubbish like this, it'll save you embarrassment due to your ignorance. Tip: Never repost other people claims in posts without checking it out first.

Comment

Working...
                      X