Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Call To Participate In The 2017 Linux Laptop Survey

Phoronix: Last Call To Participate In The 2017 Linux Laptop Survey

This is your last chance to participate in the 2017 Linux Laptop Survey. There's nearly twenty-thousand submissions so far, but the survey is expiring at the end of day Thursday...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks for the reminder, I had to do my survey twice. First time just before submitting my system froze due to this issue https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=99295

If people prioritized fixing and back-porting regressions, that would be great. (my dev environment does not work on mainline kernels)

Comment

Honestly, I've had pretty good luck regarding laptops. The only ones I've really had trouble with were based on ARM or Bay Trail chipsets. However all that being said, you might be able to presume that I'm not exactly doing anything too strenuous on a laptop. For me personally, an i3 is the most processing power I need, and if I need any more I'd rather use a desktop.

Comment

My Clevo-based laptop works well with Linux. Branded as "Hasee", it's very cheap in Renminbi.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Honestly, I've had pretty good luck regarding laptops. The only ones I've really had trouble with were based on ARM or Bay Trail chipsets. However all that being said, you might be able to presume that I'm not exactly doing anything too strenuous on a laptop. For me personally, an i3 is the most processing power I need, and if I need any more I'd rather use a desktop.
          My heavy workload is now running in virtualized guests on my workstation in my house.

Comment

Thanks for reminding us, Michael. I've just finished answering.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
              If people prioritized fixing and back-porting regressions, that would be great. (my dev environment does not work on mainline kernels)
              Virtual machines are the solution to that issue on Windows land too, where each and every development software of each device vendor loves to fill the system of baroque crap, and the only way to have a decent workstation is to keep them in their own VM.

Comment

vbullettin is getting on my nerves here. a post for Jabberwocky above this

Originally posted by schmidtbag
                For me personally, an i3 is the most processing power I need, and if I need any more I'd rather use a desktop.
                You are one of the very few people who knows what an i3 is. Most people only know about i5 and i7. I've got a bunch that thought i5 were the low end.

Comment

Asus came up with a laptop that housed desktop Ryzen 1700 and a RX580. sounds intriguing

The Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC is the first Ryzen laptop, the first Radeon RX 580 laptop, and one of the few gaming notebooks to support FreeSync.

Comment

I thought about it.

The bloody thing has no "END" key. How on earth are am I supposed to write code with it?

£1500 machine made completely useless for the cost of 1 fucking key...

Originally posted by sarfarazahmad View Post
                    Asus came up with a laptop that housed desktop Ryzen 1700 and a RX580. sounds intriguing

The Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC is the first Ryzen laptop, the first Radeon RX 580 laptop, and one of the few gaming notebooks to support FreeSync.

Comment

Working...
                    X