• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nasyt
    replied
    Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
    Any real world use cases?
    Dependable systems, that can't afford kernel-panics.

Leave a comment:

• waxhead
    replied

Not that I know of except from the fact that Minix is ported to the beaglebone and therefore probably exists in some projects.
    Someone also tried to get the Minix3 kernel running with Debian a while ago.

If you are reasonably technically minded you should watch the presentations on youtube and make up your own mind. Minix 3 not a stupid system by any means. If I get a pacemaker in the future and it runs a operating system I would prefer something that is self healing.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by waxhead View Post

I would not exactly say that Tanenbaum is bullshit, Minix 3 is very interesting and he is pretty far from stupid in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

its terrible for gaming and desktops.
    Far better than os x and windows.

Leave a comment:

• Turbine
    replied
    As some who used the prototype wasted cores patchset - it always frustrates me when they say it's BS or slows down their throughput.

The major benefit I gained from the patchset was in something you can really feel performance hits - game servers. I was able to host more without overscheduling of cores and it managed to eliminate consequent spikes. When you disable hyper threaded cores and use this patch and gain better results - you know something's wrong.

Leave a comment:

• waxhead
    replied
    Something like Tannenbaum bullshit.
    I would not exactly say that Tanenbaum is bullshit, Minix 3 is very interesting and he is pretty far from stupid in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• cj.wijtmans
    replied
    Originally posted by Staffan View Post
    Yeah I'm sure that the vast majority if not all computers on the top500 list runs linux because of its terrible handling of multiple cores
    its terrible for gaming and desktops.

Leave a comment:

• Staffan
    replied
    Yeah I'm sure that the vast majority if not all computers on the top500 list runs linux because of its terrible handling of multiple cores

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by waxhead View Post
    I wonder how much impact these patches have on the "a decade of wasted cores" problems... https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-Scheduler-Bad
    I wouldn't say it's "a decade of wasted cores" since there's nothing better than Linux in this area. Oh, and their conclusions are crap:

https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/4/23/135

Something like Tannenbaum bullshit.
    Last edited by ; 04 July 2017, 02:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• waxhead
    replied
    I wonder how much impact these patches have on the "a decade of wasted cores" problems... https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-Scheduler-Bad

Leave a comment:

Working...
X