Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Why stop there?

Don't use any distro. Just boot Windows, download the source code for components you actually want and compile the OS of your dreams.
    But windows is shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

But windows is shit.
      You'd only be using it to compile the OS of your dreams.

Plus no, it's not.

Comment

You'd only be using it to compile the OS of your dreams.

Plus no, it's not.
        Why? I don't have to compile anything. Yes, it's utter shit.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
          Wrong kernel config can cause random crashes too. The Arch Linux mesa repository is also behind Oibaf ppa, so to have optimal graphics software stack match it is better use Debian testing with a custom kernel and Oibaf ppa.
          Why are you making statements about things you are obviously clueless about? There's no "mesa repo" in Arch, it's in the "extra" repo. The optimal stack would be the latest stable, which is what Arch has. If you want the latest git you could build from AUR. There's similar methods on every other distribution as well, there's absolutely nothing that Debian testing does better in this regard.

Oh and please explain how a wrong (what's a wrong config anyways?) kernel config can cause random crashes.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

Why? I don't have to compile anything. Yes, it's utter shit.
            In debianxfce's vision, even you use his preferred distro, you still have to rip its heart (kernel) out and compile your own, plus replace a lot of other stuff. So if it doesn't fit the bill anyway, you can really use whatever as a starting point - hence my Windows suggestion.
            And if Windows is so bad, how come people don't flock to Linux? Yes, Linux has many strengths and yes, I cringe when I have to develop on Windows. But for the average user Windows desktop is a far better experience than anything in the Linux land.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

It is not clever to boot to buggy, slow and resource hog virus hoover. With virus hoover you just can wait and look rolling circles. Why virus hoover is better than Linux:
              Ah, you still think Windows=XP.
              First, that doesn't doesn't surprise one bit. Second, do you actually recall the state Linux was in when XP was the nkotb?

Comment

Originally posted by doublez13 View Post
                What the hell?? I've waited 90 minutes and it's still not in Arch Linux stable. What a joke
                Archlinux always waits until the first point release (ex 4.12.1) before pushing to the core repo. It's the first release (ex: 4.12.0) that usually hits testing fast

Comment

Do you actually think he even knew what Linux was back then?

Comment

Originally posted by anybody View Post
                    It broke virtualbox 5.1.22 (latest stable version) - kernel modules do not compile any more

ah, the joy of using proprietary shit

Comment

In debianxfce's vision, even you use his preferred distro, you still have to rip its heart (kernel) out and compile your own, plus replace a lot of other stuff. So if it doesn't fit the bill anyway, you can really use whatever as a starting point - hence my Windows suggestion.
                      And if Windows is so bad, how come people don't flock to Linux? Yes, Linux has many strengths and yes, I cringe when I have to develop on Windows. But for the average user Windows desktop is a far better experience than anything in the Linux land.
                      If it was such easy to replace the Windows kernel. For typical users Windows has advantages like (usually) better laptops support, far more games and specialized software. However, for more advanced ones Linux should be desktop of choice imo. You don't worry about viruses, anti-virus (read: NSA backdoor) software, getting bloat over time and so on. Most (if not all) of the Windows advantages comes from third party vendors. I hope Linux will get better support from them as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X