Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.12 I/O Scheduler Tests With A HDD & SSD

Phoronix: Linux 4.12 I/O Scheduler Tests With A HDD & SSD

Earlier in the Linux 4.12 cycle I delivered a number of I/O scheduler benchmarks from a solid-state drive while for this article are some fresh I/O scheduler tests using a slower SSD as well as a conventional HDD. Schedulers tested were CFQ, Noop, deadline, MQ None, MQ Kyber, MQ BFQ, and MQ Deadline.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=24887

Looks like BFQ is the best for those who dont want to wait for disk operations. e.g. desktop users.

Comment

Huh. I knew BFQ was latency-oriented but I did not expect it to be that bad at throughput.

Perhaps something about multi-queue mode not being handled properly? I would really like an explanation.

Comment

Where is the CFQ result on the last graph (the postgres benchmark) ?

Comment

Originally posted by Shnatsel View Post
          Huh. I knew BFQ was latency-oriented but I did not expect it to be that bad at throughput.

Perhaps something about multi-queue mode not being handled properly? I would really like an explanation.
          If you are constantly context switching then you will suffer in terms of total work throughput - but you may appease some managers (wait, are we still talking about schedulers here?)

Comment

Originally posted by Shnatsel View Post

Or there was some other application(s) which BFQ gave higher priority during the tests.

This sounds kinda strange though, in my tests I didn't get this massive performance hits. Although I did much more mundane things, without the test suite.

Comment

also blk-mq seems to have a bug that hurts anything multiqueue

Comment

Michael This probably comes often when people test BFQ, but can you try running the tests with the low_latency parameter disabled?

Comment

What's up with IOzone graph? Since when is SSD slower than HDD?

Comment

Originally posted by Fry-kun View Post
                    What's up with IOzone graph? Since when is SSD slower than HDD?
                    didn't notice, WTF IMPOSIBURU!

Comment

Working...
                    X