No announcement yet.

What Excites Me The Most About The Linux 4.12 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The most exciting bit about 4.12 is imo that once it's out, it's turn for 4.13 with its easier way if having cik amdgpu

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post

With USB-C (with a full implementation, not jokies that just run USB 2 or USB 3 over an USB-C connector) the devices can decide who is host and therefor which device is charging, which outputs display port and those things.
      Why would running just USB2 or USB3 over USB-C connector be a joke? If I add USB-C ports to a desktop or laptop, I hope I can do that without expensive silly things like routing an output of the GPU or allowing a 60W supply.
      The only reason I can see to add a USB-C to my desktop would be if I get a (cheap enough) phone with USB-C. If the phone does say 5V 3 amps (so up to 15 watts) I'd be thrilled already. The phone might as well have USB 2.0. Thus even a USB-C 2.0 port would do on the desktop lol.

True, if you do have a laptop or tablet thing with Displayport or HDMI on the USB-C you'll need support if you want the USB-C port to do its non USB duty.

Comment

I'm most excited about 4.12 for its Cherry Trail fixes. Still not everything is fixed, but it's slowly and surely getting there.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

It can be replaced by udev rules. Check /etc/udev/rules.d/60-ssd-scheduler.rules and modify it. For example:

ACTION=="add|change", KERNEL=="sd[a-z]", ATTR{queue/rotational}=="0",ATTR{queue/scheduler}="bfq"

Depending on your kernel config you may also need below options in grub command line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash scsi_mod.use_blk_mq=y dm_mod.use_blk_mq=y elevator=bfq"
          the maintainer didnt want to include bfq is the older scsi framework. Think it got ported to blk-mq so like in the earlier posts in this thread. I think it should be visible in sysfs once the switch to blk-mq is done with those scsi_mod=blk-mq parameters. There is another IO scheduler under blk-mq framework in this linux release going by the name of Kyber and is developed by Facebook.

Comment

ive got a problem im willing to solve that: none of those things excite me. probably cus i dont know what they are, and its boring to search engine.

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post

Why would running just USB2 or USB3 over USB-C connector be a joke? If I add USB-C ports to a desktop or laptop, I hope I can do that without expensive silly things like routing an output of the GPU or allowing a 60W supply.
              The only reason I can see to add a USB-C to my desktop would be if I get a (cheap enough) phone with USB-C. If the phone does say 5V 3 amps (so up to 15 watts) I'd be thrilled already. The phone might as well have USB 2.0. Thus even a USB-C 2.0 port would do on the desktop lol.

True, if you do have a laptop or tablet thing with Displayport or HDMI on the USB-C you'll need support if you want the USB-C port to do its non USB duty.
              Because there are already perfectly fine connectors for USB 2 and 3.
              Today, the situation is so bad that the only computer you can buy without spending hours on trying to lookup what the ports actually do is the Macbooks.
              It doesn't help that some clusterfuck vendors doesn't specify it at all (looking at you Lenovo) or specify different things on different places (looking at you Asus) so you have to read forum posts of people buying the computers and testing it themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post
                Why would running just USB2 or USB3 over USB-C connector be a joke?
                Because it is basically hardware-based. Pins make or dont make contact and decide what works and what not.
                For sending USB-C's advanced stuff (thunderbolt, displayport, whatever else) which is the main reason USB-C exists, you want that subsystem to work.

If I add USB-C ports to a desktop or laptop, I hope I can do that without expensive silly things like routing an output of the GPU or allowing a 60W supply.
                USB-C makes sense on (more like it is squarely aimed at) integrated systems where everything is soldered down, so one Displayport from the GPU goes into the USB-C port controller through lines on the motherboard, and now you have ports that can connect high speed stuff or good screens or external cards, which is MUCH better than current situation where you get USB OR video connectors on a very thin device that has limited space for that.

On desktops it is useful mostly for high speed transfers and moar power. As to get any video output in it you would still need a specific card that has a display port input that comes from your video card, there is no way around that.

Thus even a USB-C 2.0 port would do on the desktop lol.
                You just wait until external NVMe storage becomes a thing.

Comment

Thanks for the answers, although NVMe external storage would require Thunderbolt. That's where it gets more hairy I think, it's rather different from USB.
                  If the external drive is dual mode (PCIe or USB depending on what the host supports) this would work out well but there could be some bugs.

Today, the situation is so bad that the only computer you can buy without spending hours on trying to lookup what the ports actually do is the Macbooks.
                  And even there you can read posts about HDMI adapters not properly working. I'm willing to attribute it to growing pains. It's hard to reason about though (is it a straight USB-C to HDMI adapter that uses USB-C alternate HDMI mode? Is it a Displayport to HDMI adapter that uses USB-C alternate Displayport mode? which one do you need? can you get super 4k 60Hz HDR coffee-drip mode?)

But I don't want to nitpick too much ; someday there will be some great mobile hardware thing that will benefit from all that (may I suggest some tablet offer two USB-C port.. or some phone to have micro USB + USB-C so that it can work with all cables and power supplies)
                  Last edited by grok; 01 July 2017, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Ya all have big fat servers with stacks of hdds right? Because bfq doesn't bring any throughput improvements for the ssd drives.

Comment

Originally posted by sarfarazahmad View Post

the maintainer didnt want to include bfq is the older scsi framework. Think it got ported to blk-mq so like in the earlier posts in this thread. I think it should be visible in sysfs once the switch to blk-mq is done with those scsi_mod=blk-mq parameters. There is another IO scheduler under blk-mq framework in this linux release going by the name of Kyber and is developed by Facebook.
                      IMHO In this case it's probably about scsi emulation which allows you to have unified device naming: sd*. Currently I'm using Kyber on my PC and I want to make some comparison between schedulers.

Comment

Working...
                      X