Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XPad Updates, Google Rose Touchpad Support Heading To Linux 4.13

Phoronix: XPad Updates, Google Rose Touchpad Support Heading To Linux 4.13

A fair amount of new device support and other improvements are getting ready for the Linux 4.13 kernel via the HID and input trees...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

support for the defunct Retrode2 joypad adapter
    It's defunct? You should probably let the people behind it know that. They're gearing up for another production run.

Seriously, though, I'd double-check that entry.

1. I only really use mine as a cartridge dumper (I leave more expendable USB controller adapters permanently connected to my PC) but I don't remember having any trouble when I tested the cartridge ports on it back when I bought it.

2. It's normal for the Retrode2 to be out of stock for long periods of time. I believe it has to do with the unreliability of supply for such small lots of specialty connectors. (Custom production runs tend to have a Minimum Order Quantity of at least 1000, and the Retrode2 is made by a small enthusiast business.)

Comment

I just wish the touchpad on my newish AMD Bristol Ridge Lenovo Ideapad would work for tapping and not just for swiping. Maybe 4.13 or 4.14 will do the trick ?

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
        I just wish the touchpad on my newish AMD Bristol Ridge Lenovo Ideapad would work for tapping and not just for swiping. Maybe 4.13 or 4.14 will do the trick ?
        Maybe you need something like this (if your distribution already switched to libinput):
        Code:
        $ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/30-input.conf
        Section "InputClass"
            Identifier          "touchpad"
            Driver              "libinput"
            MatchIsTouchpad     "on"
            MatchDevicePath     "/dev/input/event*"
            Option              "MiddleEmulation" "on"
            Option              "ScrollMethod" "edge"
            Option              "Tapping" "on"
            Option              "TappingDrag" "on"
        EndSection

Comment

I would be happy with xpad if it just didn't setup the PowerA xbox 360 controller wrong.

I broke down and bought a Microsoft controller for Borderlands 2 because it just wouldn't use the PowerA controller. With the PowerA controller, sometimes the xpad module worked better, sometimes you came across a game where the xpad driver doesn't work right and you have to unload the module and run the xboxdrv userspace driver instead, sometimes the other way around, and sometimes it just doesn't work no matter what. The clone controllers on Linux are a nightmare. I wonder why PowerA controllers work alright on Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by puleglot View Post
            Maybe you need something like this (if your distribution already switched to libinput):
            Code:
            $ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/30-input.conf
            Section "InputClass"
            Identifier "touchpad"
            Driver "libinput"
            MatchIsTouchpad "on"
            MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
            Option "MiddleEmulation" "on"
            Option "ScrollMethod" "edge"
            Option "Tapping" "on"
            Option "TappingDrag" "on"
            EndSection
            Thanks. Or maybe I just need to go into Settings under Mouse and Touchpad and turn the Tap to Click on. <sigh> That's what I get for assuming that would have been turned on by default.

Comment

maybe someone can tell me if and how i can set up 2 xbox controllers. Do i need 2 Wireless adapters for it aswell? thx in advance

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
                maybe someone can tell me if and how i can set up 2 xbox controllers. Do i need 2 Wireless adapters for it aswell? thx in advance
                I use xbox360 controllers (genuine) a single wireless adapter will connect 4 controllers, you do not need to do anything other than making sure that you run a recent version of xpad

Code:
                sudo git clone https://github.com/paroj/xpad.git /usr/src/xpad-0.4
                sudo dkms install -m xpad -v 0.4
                The problem in my experience comes from the games, some games like Borderlands or Geometry wars work like a charm, other like "Move or die" will for example not detect the controller unless it was on before you start the game.

Other games like "Nuclear Throne" will not work with the wireless controller, but may work with the wired one, and will not work at all for a second player.

In my opinion the best controller in Linux (in terms of success controlling games) is the steam controller, it is immensely configurable and using sc-controller you can control any game outside Steam.

Comment

I was impressed by linux gamepad support this week when the force feedback function of my cordless rumblepad 2 was automatically detected and enabled in PCSX2 for linux. PCSX2 on Windows 8.1 detected it but the force feedback was gray'd out. Was confused because it worked in Vista. I needed an older version of Logitech Gaming Software installed and then had to reboot to get it to work in Windows.

Although a few months ago I was editing udev rules in a text editor in order to get my steam controller working again after a firmware update to the controller. Definitely better in some ways, but not others.
                  Last edited by Sidicas; 26 June 2017, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
                    Thanks. Or maybe I just need to go into Settings under Mouse and Touchpad and turn the Tap to Click on. <sigh> That's what I get for assuming that would have been turned on by default.
                    Good to know it was a derp on your side.
                    I can't remember when was the last touchpad that wasn't working properly in Linux.

Comment

Working...
                    X