Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UDisks 2.7 Released, Migrates To Libblockdev

Phoronix: UDisks 2.7 Released, Migrates To Libblockdev

The UDisks project that provides a D-Bus interface for querying and manipulating storage devices issued a big release earlier this month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

does it still mount the fat32 usb sticks with nosync option (so even after copying files onto it via nautilus files aren't really copied there until you chose to unmount it)? funny thing- since xp sp2 windows doesn't mount them with that option, and yet there isn't many usb sticks "broken" by it.

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
      does it still mount the fat32 usb sticks with nosync option
      You'd want the flush option, not sync/nosync.

Comment

Is it still preventing disks from spinning down?

By the look of this report, I guess no:
        https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...2/+bug/1281588

Until that is fixed, Udisks2 is blacklisted on my workstation. I have a bunch of trusty old backup harddisks I like to keep spun down because they squeal like wounded pigs.

But my biggest problem with it: It sucks that KDE depends on Udisks2! The only DE I've found so far that doesn't is Weston → I'm using Weston.

I'm really contemplating writing a fake udisksd2 daemon, to let KDE run.
        Last edited by andreano; 12 June 2017, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by andreano View Post
          Is it still preventing disks from spinning down?

By the look of this report, I guess so:
          https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...2/+bug/1281588
          Dunno, but I didn't have issues with spinned down disks suddenly powering up (I have external enclosures with esata that spin down and stay asleep fine. Although most of the time they are switched off with their own power switch).

Also, drives put to sleep by hdparm -Y /dev/sdx stay asleep here even if I do a hdparm -C /dev/sdx on them.

I've just waited 10 minutes and a drive (internal drive, not in an enclosure) I shut down like that is still asleep.

I'm on OpenSUSE Leap 42.2 and udisks2 is version 2.1.6

<generic flame about Ubuntu breaking stuff>

I have a bunch of trusty old backup harddisks I like to keep spun down because they squeal like wounded pigs.
          I don't think the spinup-spindown that happens on every PC startup is cool for them. Although if you don't power down your PC often it's probably fine.
          Last edited by starshipeleven; 12 June 2017, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Hi OpenSUSE fellow!

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            stay asleep fine
            Same here.

Udisks2 is kind enough to let them stay spun down once they are. The problem is only that they never spin down if you set a longer spindown timeout (e.g. hdparm -S 240 /dev/sdx for 20 minutes) than Udisks2's irritatingly short poll interval (something like 10 or 15 minutes IIRC). What is it polling for anyway? I want to patch it to infinite – I have no use for you whatsoever thankyouverymuch Udisks2!

I can confirm that my internal harddisks don't spin up using hdparm -C /dev/sdx. They are all Western Digital, different ages, the oldest from 2004.

You guessed it, I'm not rebooting often. Since I'm on Tumbleweed, I probably upgrade my kernel 10 times more often, lol.
            Last edited by andreano; 12 June 2017, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Hi OpenSUSE fellow!

Same here.

Udisks2 is kind enough to let them stay spun down once they are. The problem is only that they never spin down if you set a longer spindown timeout (e.g. hdparm -S 240 /dev/sdx for 20 minutes) than Udisks2's irritatingly short poll interval (something like 10 or 15 minutes IIRC). What is it polling for anyway? I want to patch it to infinite – I have no use for you whatsoever thankyouverymuch Udisks2!

I can confirm that my internal harddisks don't spin up using hdparm -C /dev/sdx. They are all Western Digital, different ages, the oldest from 2004.

You guessed it, I'm not rebooting often. Since I'm on Tumbleweed, I probably upgrade my kernel 10 times more often, lol.

Pure miss understanding of what udisks2 does. Udisk2 does not poll the drive the hard drive any more kernel does. There are a few old/questionable drives that looking at smart data records as activity.

When udisk2 requests current smart data the kernel goes and gets it. By standard for drives polling the smart data should not register as activity. So drive is dud by specifications they should be built to if modern udisk2 is smart look up is preventing spinning down. Next udev or should be the party with the control flags for how often smart data is recovered.

Yes udisks2 use to poll using method that use to keep drives awake by specification but that is no longer the case and that code has been gone form mainline for over 3 years.

It very easy to blame the wrong level for some of these issues as well as ignoring the fact the hardware is defective.

Comment

I hope liblockdev is scoped beyond Anaconda.

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
                  does it still mount the fat32 usb sticks with nosync option (so even after copying files onto it via nautilus files aren't really copied there until you chose to unmount it)? funny thing- since xp sp2 windows doesn't mount them with that option, and yet there isn't many usb sticks "broken" by it.
                  UDisks2 is not mounting anything on its own. It's always the desktop environment (or something similar) doing the automatic mounting of removable devices. UDisks2 adds some default mount options based on the file system and for FAT32 these include the 'flush' option. Using 'sync' would probably be too drastic, especially for every FAT32 file system, even for those not on USB sticks. If you think removable drives should be mounted with the 'sync' option, file a bug report or an RFE to the thing that does the mounting in your environment -- e.g. gvfs.

Comment

It's updating the SMART data so that any potential signs of failure are caught early. The interval should be configurable I think. Could you please create a GitHub issue for this at https://github.com/storaged-project/udisks/issues ? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X