Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An Early Look At Debian 9.0 Performance vs. Debian 8.8, Ubuntu 17.04, CentOS 7, Clear Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ikey_solus View Post

Are you capable of mentioning anything else but "custom 1000hz timer kernel"?
    He's not, but let it rest. Otherwise he'll bring up xfce, whisker menu, wicd and other stuff. Really, he's almost at the 2,000 post mark and I swear he never posts anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Debian testing Xfce is easier to use than Solus and also lighter, budgie desktop is a memory hog.
      I really recommend double-checking that. I'll fix it though.

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
      Debian has more packages available to use than Solus and doesn't have a forked gnome-shell, budgie, which is bad because I think everything other than XFCE is a memory hog.
      I should tell you that every experience I had with XFCE was poor, from either disliking the way the DE functions, to the looks (looks much better now though), to the performance bugs I've encountered. On the computer that I am typing this on, I cannot use XFCE on Debian or any Debian/Ubuntu based distros. The live-usb will seem fine, I'll install it, and when I boot it up the FPS rapidly decreases until even the F1, F2 terminals are like jello. This problem is on multiple release versions as well.

My wife's laptop doesn't have this issue, but she and I had issues with how it functions and how I would use it. I can go into specifics but I don't want to ramble on.

Originally posted by ikey_solus View Post
      Re: AMD cpus. Yes, I know, and Solus runs on them perfectly fine.
      Just a little note, I have an AMD FX-9370 with Solus installed on a 120GB SSD and it works great.
      Last edited by profoundWHALE; 31 May 2017, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

He's not, but let it rest. Otherwise he'll bring up xfce, whisker menu, wicd and other stuff. Really, he's almost at the 2,000 post mark and I swear he never posts anything else.
        Bugger. There goes my one-trick-pony experiment.

Comment

I use Debian with XFCE every day all day long. Nevertheless, I agree it's not optimal, it's just the lesser evil for me. Bottom line:

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
            I use Debian with XFCE every day all day long. Nevertheless, I agree it's not optimal, it's just the lesser evil for me. Bottom line:
            *image snipped*
            ROFL. Got one of those for Griffin? Maybe a lawn gnome?

Personally, I mostly-prefer XFCE to GNOME-Xorg. Thunar's a little unstable when dealing with ejected discs or flakey USB drive connections sometimes, but it's alright otherwise.

Back on the original topic: I'm glad to see Debian 9 coming along so well. I doubt it'll displace Arch on my laptops, but it'll make a nice upgrade for my off-net desktop. ^_^

Comment

I have done a lot of the same kind of tweaking as debian xfce, it really doesn't bring any noticeable improvements. I prefer convenience and security more.

Comment

I wonder how it scored so well on games and GPU testing considering it's using Mesa-13.

Comment

Working...
                X