Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An Early Look At Debian 9.0 Performance vs. Debian 8.8, Ubuntu 17.04, CentOS 7, Clear Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Early Look At Debian 9.0 Performance vs. Debian 8.8, Ubuntu 17.04, CentOS 7, Clear Linux

Phoronix: An Early Look At Debian 9.0 Performance vs. Debian 8.8, Ubuntu 17.04, CentOS 7, Clear Linux

With Debian 9.0 "Stretch" being released in a few weeks, you can expect to find a number of Debian GNU/Linux comparisons coming up on Phoronix in June. For those curious how the performance of Debian Stretch is looking now that it's nearly finalized, here are some initial benchmarks compared to the current stable Debian 8.8 release as well as Ubuntu 17.04, CentOS 7, and Clear Linux.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=24710

That was something I was wondering. Thanks for that!

Comment

Thanks for this. Would be interesting to see performance with liquorix kernel vs Debian 9, but would need to graph average frame timings that you do for your other tests.
      Basically proving the claims that liquorix is more multimedia and gaming friendly?

Comment

Flag this. Just found some previous testing you did. Reading now! Good job!

Comment

As others have expressed, thanks! I also wanted to see something like this.

Comment

I think we should throw in Solus in here as well. It borrows the optimizations from ClearLinux. I dislike the way Clear Linux manages packages and would rather prefer Solus (plus also the privacy aspect).
            Solus vs Debian 9 sounds interesting to me.

Comment

Originally posted by sarfarazahmad View Post
              I think we should throw in Solus in here as well. It borrows the optimizations from ClearLinux. I dislike the way Clear Linux manages packages and would rather prefer Solus (plus also the privacy aspect).
              ok i'll bite... i get that not everyone likes bundles in clear linux.. but what is the privacy aspect you mention?

Comment

Originally posted by arjan_intel View Post

ok i'll bite... i get that not everyone likes bundles in clear linux.. but what is the privacy aspect you mention?
                Well, could it be that Intel ME/AMT and vulnerabilities of late have made me paranoid ? is it just me that is the sceptic here ?
                Last edited by sarfarazahmad; 05-31-2017, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Well, could it be that Intel ME/AMT and vulnerabilities of late have made me paranoid ? is it just me that is the skeptic here ?
                  Then you needn't worry. Those vulnerabilities are/were exploitable regardless of the OS you install

Comment

Debian testing Xfce is easier to use than Solus and also lighter, budgie desktop is a memory hog. Debian testing is a rolling release, use stretch installer and change repository to testing. A custom non debug 1000Hz timer kernel and removing unused systemd services speeds up operation. You can also use Oibaf and Padoka yakkety ppas with Debian testing, see the second message;

https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...in-living-room
                    Last edited by debianxfce; 05-31-2017, 05:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X