Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 17.04 hangs several times a day and the fix has not been pushed mainstream yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 17.04 hangs several times a day and the fix has not been pushed mainstream yet

Like many Ubuntu 17.04 users (if not all), I was affected by this bug from day 1:
    Randomly, khugepaged process will take 100% CPU, and I can only restart the computer to recover it. Relevant dmesg attached (dmesg_crash.txt). ProblemType: Bug DistroRelease: Ubuntu 17.04 Package: linux-image-4.10.0-14-generic 4.10.0-14.16 ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.10.0-14.16-generic 4.10.3 Uname: Linux 4.10.0-14-generic x86_64 ApportVersion: 2.20.4-0ubuntu2 Architecture: amd64 AudioDevicesInUse:  USER PID ACCESS COMMAND  /dev/snd/controlC0: mathieu 2221 F.... pulseaudio  /d...

The fix took a while to appear, but the developer managed to find it a few weeks ago. Even though this bug prevents many Ubuntu users from using their computer at all, the release is expected for June 5.

It's pretty obvious a high severity bug like this one should be top priority and released ASAP, it doesn't look like the ubuntu guys really care about people not being able to use their computers at all.

I wonder if this is the kind of quality we are going to get from Ubuntu from now on. The number of users that don't know how to debug and report this, must be huge. If I get frustrated by the way they handled it, even when I know what happened under the hood, I can't even imagine how many end users end up removing Ubuntu in frustration, and decide "Linux is not for them", due to bugs like this.
    <rant mode off>

Yes, I already have a patched working kernel in my computers, but it would be nice to have an article about this.

I can't be sure I'm seeing this but randomly about once a week my system will hang and the only thing I can do is force a power cycle.

Instead of just freezing, it ought to at least dump some logs, reboot, and let you know approximately what happened with a startup popup or something.

On 4.10.0-21-generic at the moment.
    Last edited by Xen0sys; 25 May 2017, 07:00 PM.

Comment

The problem is even more severe than I thought, since the broken kernel patch was backported to the LTS version too! It affected many people running LTS servers.

About your problem, you can always check for the older kernel logs. Check in /var/log/kern.log.1 or even older. I don't recall how I got the message since I installed the fixed kernel as soon as I found it.

You can manually install the fixed kernel (4.10.0-22.24). it's already in the -proposed ppa (don't remove your current kernel until you get that one working!)

If that kernel doesn't fix it for you, then you are probably affected by something else, like https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1680904

Comment

Working...
      X