Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chrome's Ozone Adds Gamepad Support

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Chrome's Ozone Adds Gamepad Support

    Phoronix: Chrome's Ozone Adds Gamepad Support

    Chrome's Ozone abstraction layer has added support for gamepads...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Ozone-Gamepad

  • #2
    Uhm, it's not really new, I'm working on a project that uses it and it just works in Chromium 56, moreover, it's not standard controller but dance pad, detected as 10 buttons.
    BTW, that API sucks, it provides only events for newly connected (or more like, only when they are used for the first time, reported as added only after pressing some button etc.) or disconnected devices, you have to poll it constantly to find out if button was pressed...

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Emdek View Post
      you have to poll it constantly to find out if button was pressed...
      Which you'll do in your game's update loop. It's only an inconvenience if you're using gamepads for non-game applications.

      Comment


      • #4
        @lunarcloud, but it's not the only use case plus why do not have *both*?
        You don't have to use events when they are available, you can keep polling, lack of them is really inconvenient when your use case doesn't require constantly running loop and you have to implement it just to add controller support.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Emdek View Post
          Uhm, it's not really new, I'm working on a project that uses it and it just works in Chromium 56, moreover, it's not standard controller but dance pad, detected as 10 buttons.
          A web-dance-kiosk?

          Comment


          • #6
            chrome ozone should not be the wayland release of chrome?

            Comment


            • #7
              @starshipeleven, educational game for children, optionally controlled using arrow "keys" on the pad, something a bit like logo, but less boring. ;-)

              Comment


              • #8
                why use evdev and not libinput?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by GI_Jack View Post
                  why use evdev and not libinput?
                  libinput explicitly avoids dealing with gamepads. It's kinda hard to account every possible combination of gamepad "geometry". Latest related news were about creating inputfd protocol for managing gamepad access for apps, and letting app to do with the device whatever it wants https://who-t.blogspot.ru/2017/04/in...access-to.html

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by lunarcloud View Post

                    Which you'll do in your game's update loop. It's only an inconvenience if you're using gamepads for non-game applications.
                    not sure if you are aware but that is shitty game design from the 80's. It has annoyed me for over a decade that you have to poll a device that way.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X