Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Features So Far For The Linux 4.12 Kernel

Phoronix: The New Features So Far For The Linux 4.12 Kernel

We are through week one of two for the Linux 4.12 kernel merge window. It's been a busy first week of 4.12, so for your viewing pleasure this weekend is a recap of some of the changes that landed over the past seven days...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

the most interesting kernel update i remember

Comment

When can we expect mandatory ASLR for x64 usermode processes?

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
        When can we expect mandatory ASLR for x64 usermode processes?

Ask a better question. Usermode processes ASLR has been on by default in the Linux kernel from 2005 no matter the platform. Its the quality of the ASLR is the question about userspace ASLR.

2015 the in kernel ASLR for userspace did increase in quality that is the 4.5 Linux kernel and newer.

kaslr has been the missing. So this is now usermode and kernel mode aslr to be on by default. This now brings to a quality debate. One of the on going issues with ASLR is it once only randomisation.

Comment

Hey Michael, can we look forward to a BFQ vs. Kyber benchmark? Things I (and maybe the community) will be interested in are the latencies. Will the system still be responsive under heavy I/O load? Can I expect to launch other applications (not cached in RAM)?

Comment

Originally posted by renkin View Post
            Hey Michael, can we look forward to a BFQ vs. Kyber benchmark? Things I (and maybe the community) will be interested in are the latencies. Will the system still be responsive under heavy I/O load? Can I expect to launch other applications (not cached in RAM)?
            Initial tests being posted tomorrow.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Is Realtek 887/1200 support already in? 4.10 definitely does not recognize them, only as generic HD audio. Haven't tried 4.11 yet. Many new motherboards ship with these chips.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                Is Realtek 887/1200 support already in? 4.10 definitely does not recognize them, only as generic HD audio. Haven't tried 4.11 yet. Many new motherboards ship with these chips.
                If memory serves, that was in 4.11 - I may be wrong though

Comment

So there is a Code of Conduct that have sneaked into the kernel too?

The kernel is for real programmers not sensitive crybabies who needs to be cuddled and can't take criticism.
                  Linus Torvalds have the right to call people out on their bullshit when lazy developers selfishly push code that isn't tested without regard for the time wasted for the people who have to deal with their shitty code.

If you push shitty, buggy code that haven't been tested and waste other peoples time with it, then you deserve the flack you get for it.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    So there is a Code of Conduct that have sneaked into the kernel too?

The kernel is for real programmers not sensitive crybabies who needs to be cuddled and can't take criticism.
                    Linus Torvalds have the right to call people out on their bullshit when lazy developers selfishly push code that isn't tested without regard for the time wasted for the people who have to deal with their shitty code.

If you push shitty, buggy code that haven't been tested and waste other peoples time with it, then you deserve the flack you get for it.
                    Yes, sneaked through as a standalone PR that was accepted with no protests

Comment

Working...
                    X