BFQ I/O Scheduler Lands Along With New Kyber Scheduler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Yeah right. I'm willing to bet it's because Kyber was developed by Facebook. Big companies often see their work get implemented faster than work by individuals.
    i think that's because if company makes a linux contribution (which is useful to all and maintainable), it's safe to assume this code got very extensive testing in a production environment. or the company in question will really shame itself by poor quality submission.

bfq scheduler was mostly designed for desktop users, and as such there are only user reports to go with.

Comment

There is also the matter of code size. BFQ is the biggest scheduler, larger that CFQ while Kyber is a very small scheduler, similar in size to the deadline scheduler. Of course it takes less to review a smaller piece of code than a larger one.

Comment

Originally posted by czz0 View Post
        I compiled my kernel with support for BFQ

CONFIG_IOSCHED_BFQ=y
        CONFIG_BFQ_GROUP_IOSCHED=y

But I found no option to set it as the default like I can with other schedulers, and I don't see the option to change it from userspace through /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler

What am I missing here?
        On previous kernel with patched-in BFQ, I get:

Enable the block layer -> IO Schedulers -> Default I/O scheduler

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

It's ok as long as they don't force the crappy D language on kernel developers.
          Pulls out pitch fork

Comment

Working...
          X